• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

crate motor vs garage built motor

slednecks1124

My dad & I are getting ready to start on our restoration project of a 67 mustang, it currently has a 289 but we are looking to put something in it that has more power.

We are trying to decide whether we want to get a complete crate motor or get a bare block and build to our needs/wants. If we are going to build the motor we will prob go with something like a 351w.

What are your guy's preferences? What companies do you prefer to purchase crate motors from? If you have any previous experiences that might pertain to the subject feel free to post:awesomework:

Yeah its the original 289 (the low HP model), like i said we are looking to get some power prob around the 400+ HP ranger

Go with a 32 valve cammer motor from ford racing....... i wish i was rich
sounds cool is it a fastback

Don't know much about mustangs but aren't matching numbers cars worth more? I know If you have a 60's Vette w/ orig motor you'd be a fool to swap it out. My mom's 61' stingray would be worth alot more if the casting # on the block were correct. It still has a 283ci that looks all orig but still screwed.

Don't know much about mustangs but aren't matching numbers cars worth more? I know If you have a 60's Vette w/ orig motor you'd be a fool to swap it out. My mom's 61' stingray would be worth alot more if the casting # on the block were correct. It still has a 283ci that looks all orig but still screwed.

Yeah typically number matching stangs are worth more too but like i said its the low HP model of the 289 so I am not sure that it would really add to the rvalue vs swapping in a 351w in it.

It is a coupe not a fast back, I wish it was a 68 fast back:rolleyes: but we cant really complain as it was given to us for free and it is in really good condition:awesomework:

Stroker 302, you shouldn't have any trouble getting 400 ponies out of it. I wouldn't worry about matching numbers on a standard pony car, they are a dime a dozen. The 289 with a blower would be cool to. Ya runnin a stick or auto?

Stroker 302, you shouldn't have any trouble getting 400 ponies out of it. I wouldn't worry about matching numbers on a standard pony car, they are a dime a dozen. The 289 with a blower would be cool to. Ya runnin a stick or auto?

We have been thinking about a 302 also. My buddy his dad used to own waterhouse motors, he thinks he might have some old parts laying around to throw together a 351 so we might end up buying some parts from him.

Not sure i have not really talked with my dad much if he wants to do auto or stick but more than likely a stick

400 horse and a stick would be fun but watch that rear end and driveshaft.:D I prefer an auto myself for a street car but I'm lazy. I spent to many years shifting a Mack dump truck, I like to get in put it in drive and go now.:D

Get a newer 5.0 from a Mustang, get a 331 kit for it, put on some AFR heads w/ the right cam, and it will make all the power you need...

This is my injected 5.0 swap in my 68 Cougar.... all stock 5.0, 5spd, 2.73 gears, and got 29mpg on a road trip last summer.... :awesomework:

2-24-2008_3_.JPG

If your going to spend the time putting a engine in it, Then do it right and put a 87-93 5.0 in it. Great fuel economy and excellent stock performance with the roller cam. If you have cash to burn then i would get a crate 347, But you would be real suprised what a good running stock 5.0 will do.

x2 on the 5.0!!! i have had several 5.0s you can get a decent amount of power out of a stock one with a lil tweaking!!!! trust me on this i have a big block mopar,and used to hate young kids in 5.0s who thought they were fast.. then i got one and made it fast!!! hell i got a 89 5.0 sitting in my dads garage right now. last winter the roof collapsed,and she took a hit on the body. i need to get a job so many toys!!!

plus like pooh said you can get a 331 kit for a decent price,and build it up yourself.. these engines are easy to work on,and would look way cooler under the hood then a 351...
get your self a copy of muscle mustangs and fast fords, awesome mag with alot of info on ford stuff look at the prices for rebuilding engines,and buying kits!!

thread hi jack pooh that coug of yours looks cool!!!! like the 5.0 in it. something about the older car with a modern power plant under hood looks clean!!

...and the nice thing with a newer 5.0 or a 331 is that they have great longevity if you plan on driving it much.

The problem with most 347 kits is that it puts the wrist pin either in, or VERY close to the oil control ring, and most of them don't last too long before they start to use oil... or at least that is what I have read i my HOURS of looking at 5.0 kits

The 5.0 in my Cougar is bone stock w/ 110K miles that I pulled from a 91' Tbird. It has the air filter, and a set of shorty headers... other than that, it is all stock, and it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. :D

Get a newer 5.0 from a Mustang, get a 331 kit for it, put on some AFR heads w/ the right cam, and it will make all the power you need...

This is my injected 5.0 swap in my 68 Cougar.... all stock 5.0, 5spd, 2.73 gears, and got 29mpg on a road trip last summer.... :awesomework:

2-24-2008_3_.JPG

I agree the 5.0 is a great motor, my dad used to have a 93 5.0 with some minor bolt on mods which had a great amount of power! You definately can not complain about 29MPG! :awesomework:

I dont really want to switch over to fuel injection, there are some good perks but it seems like more of a hassel than what its worth. I like the simplicity of a carbeurated motor:redneck:

My dad kicks him self in the ass now cause he had a 351W fresh block, crank & heads sittin the garage little while back but then he sold them to a buddy :looser:

Anybody have any mustang restoration pics they would like to share?? :corn:
Or engine restoration

...and the nice thing with a newer 5.0 or a 331 is that they have great longevity if you plan on driving it much.

The problem with most 347 kits is that it puts the wrist pin either in, or VERY close to the oil control ring, and most of them don't last too long before they start to use oil... or at least that is what I have read i my HOURS of looking at 5.0 kits

Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind. I've never really torn into a car motor myself so im really pushing to build the motor ourself as it will be a great learning experience. I used to sit out in the garage and watch my dad rebuild motors when i was younger but never got too deeply involved when it came to the wrenchin part. :cheer:

Anybody have any mustang restoration pics they would like to share?? :corn:
Or engine restoration

You can run the newer 5.0 and get the roller block, better heads, etc... and remove the injection and run a carb. The injection is sweet, but not cheap to get the harness and the fuel system in right.

Here are some pics of my Cougar... same parts as a Mustang except the body and rear springs!

DSCN1332.JPG

11-10-2006_3_.JPG

New_Parts_2_.JPG

Stripped_3_.JPG

In_primer.JPG

Suspension_4_.JPG

DSCN1800.JPG

DSCN5506.JPG

DSCN5883.JPG

DSCN5505.JPG

DSCN5878.JPG

DSCN6307.JPG

Nice pics pooh! How long ago did you start that project?

Yeah your right to switch to fuel injection may not be cheap, definately has some advantages but I think we are going to stick with a carb :awesomework:

Anyone on here messed around much with super chargers??? We have tossed around the idea of runnin a 351 with a super charger. any input is good :cool:

started it about 3 years ago. Took 15 months to get it running and out of Brads shop. It is driveable now, but nowhere near being DONE.

Unless you want to go with a big cube small block (351W based 427 or something) I would stick w/ the 5.0 block and make a 331. Every 351W I have been around is **** unless they are stroked.

It really all boils down with what do you want to do with the car? Daily drive it? Rarely Drive it? Race it?