• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

crate motor vs garage built motor

393 Windsors are stupid cheap and easy... I got a 351 Block I might part with... Err wait, it might not have main caps. I'll check if you're interested.

started it about 3 years ago. Took 15 months to get it running and out of Brads shop. It is driveable now, but nowhere near being DONE.

Unless you want to go with a big cube small block (351W based 427 or something) I would stick w/ the 5.0 block and make a 331. Every 351W I have been around is **** unless they are stroked.

It really all boils down with what do you want to do with the car? Daily drive it? Rarely Drive it? Race it?

Sweet Deal. The car will be a weekend driver for the nice days, just a sleeping cruiser with some power for those occasional stop light to stop light drags :redneck:

393 Windsors are stupid cheap and easy... I got a 351 Block I might part with... Err wait, it might not have main caps. I'll check if you're interested.

how much you looking to get for it? Like i said my buddies dad closed down his shop (waterhouse motors) and thinks he might have some parts laying around so I am going to check him out also

lucky me, my best bud owns and operates his own engine machine shop, real small company but some of the best work I seen yet, and my engines get special attention. Hes already started 'collectin' parts for a stroker 393 for my 55 F100.

horsepowerTV on spike did a build up of a 383 stroker chevy just using parts they bought out of the summit catalog and it was like $1200 cheaper than buyin a crate. im sure you could do the same thing for a ford. check it out!

If one is wanting # matching, just build any motor you want, stuff it in there, keep the org motor safe high and dry in your shop...:;
Win win deal...:cheer:

horsepowerTV on spike did a build up of a 383 stroker chevy just using parts they bought out of the summit catalog and it was like $1200 cheaper than buyin a crate. im sure you could do the same thing for a ford. check it out!

best quote I ever heard was a buddy and myself went for a ride in a guys Camaro with a new "built" 383....

When we got back, he asked what we thought... my buddy told him "... it runs kinda like a worn out Pontiac 400..."

He was not happy... cause it was the truth! :haha:

best quote I ever heard was a buddy and myself went for a ride in a guys Camaro with a new "built" 383....

When we got back, he asked what we thought... my buddy told him "... it runs kinda like a worn out Pontiac 400..."

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

The last time I built a motor I ended up putting like 10-12k into by the time it was all said and done. That motor is now in my buggy. Great motor but in the end I should have bought a crate ramjet 502 for 11k that comes complete with EFI and had been done with it. I am not even taking into consideration the time I spent on it. I could have been drinkling beer and working on somethin else than waiting for parts and putting everything together. Just my .02. It was still fun building a motor though.

The last time I built a motor I ended up putting like 10-12k into by the time it was all said and done. That motor is now in my buggy. Great motor but in the end I should have bought a crate ramjet 502 for 11k that comes complete with EFI and had been done with it. I am not even taking into consideration the time I spent on it. I could have been drinkling beer and working on somethin else than waiting for parts and putting everything together. Just my .02. It was still fun building a motor though.

What kind of motor and what parts did you use? Pics?? :corn:

thats pretty funny, but isnt pontiac gm? i wasnt stickin up for chevys even though thats what i prefer, just tryin to say that you can buy and build a better motor for cheaper than buyin a crate :awesomework: now go along with the lame ford talk :fawkdancesmiley:

What kind of motor and what parts did you use? Pics?? :corn:

Chev 454 all the goods. I can't remember the specifics. Pics in my party wagon build thread. Pics won't really show what is in the inside though. Built that like 7 years ago now. I am sure you could build the same thing now for 6-8.