• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cryo'd Gearsets...What's the real dealio???

zukkev

Cornfuzzled yet again...
OK, I know Bobby used to offer Cryo treatment for gearsets, but Longfield is no longer an option to use...Is there any real world gains to it in the wheeling world? This would be for a Toy 8"...And if so, can someone point me in the direction of a reputable company that does it, say the company that Bobby used???
Discuss....

Ive seen a STOCK (supposedly better 1979) tcase shaft break at 2400Ft/lbs and 70 degrees of twist.

Then I seen a stock CRYOed tcase shaft break at 2400ft/lbs and 70 degrees of twist.

This was on BOBBY's machine.

Bobby had no way of testing R&P strength with the machine. I have never seen a R&P tested both ways so I dont know for sure.

But after seeing other materials (tcase shafts that were tested identically) offer NO GAIN at all, I dont see the benefit or gain.

Bobby would say it helped, but had no way of proving it. I found it odd for a guy that had to "test" everything, he just "believed" in cryo with no PROOF.

Just my .02, save your loot.

And as far as I know he just used his OWN pottery kilm and deep/cryo freezer. No real complicated stuff there.

My brother used to drag race a 12sec Volkswagen Rabbit. He had problems breaking the stub shaft on the front axles. He finally sent a set out for cryo, sorry don't know where, no more problems. That set of axles were still in the car when he sold it.

Ive seen a STOCK (supposedly better 1979) tcase shaft break at 2400Ft/lbs and 70 degrees of twist.

Then I seen a stock CRYOed tcase shaft break at 2400ft/lbs and 70 degrees of twist.

This was on BOBBY's machine.

Bobby had no way of testing R&P strength with the machine. I have never seen a R&P tested both ways so I dont know for sure.

But after seeing other materials (tcase shafts that were tested identically) offer NO GAIN at all, I dont see the benefit or gain.

Bobby would say it helped, but had no way of proving it. I found it odd for a guy that had to "test" everything, he just "believed" in cryo with no PROOF.

Just my .02, save your loot.

And as far as I know he just used his OWN pottery kilm and deep/cryo freezer. No real complicated stuff there.

I know bill (blue 1st gen toy in our club) sent out a set to bobby, and bobby sent the gears out to be done...now I talked to bill about why he did it, but if you know him....let's just say he can be a lil vague! :redneck:

He couldn't remember...all the real info on the net regarding the process seems to make it beneficial....in dragracing world, but no real proof or stats in the wheeling world. :cool:

I will say, I think the material has some to do with it to.

I seen no diff on Tcase shafts, but on the OLD longs made from stockers it would change them.

After treating them it seemed they would break on the shaft and not explode the BELL. MAybe it made the bell stronger? Maybe it made it softer and less brittle? maybe it just made the stub weaker? Dont know but it changed the birfs.

I have Motive gears in my dana 70 that are Cryo'd and Precision gear up front which IRCC are too. They seem to hold up after some serious abuse. I'm going to be doing diff services on both ends this weekend so I'll see what they look like after a few years of abuse.

SO far I am not sold on doing it... Again, it was brought up that it theoretically strengthens the gearset, but I have yet to see any real proof it does enough to warrant it, or anything at all. Thanks Fellas! :awesomework:

Bobby and Tina did them in-house. I heard Tina will still do them but I haven't called to confirm because it's not something I'm interested in. When I break gears I feel there is no amount of heat treating that will save them. :redneck:

Have you perused Zuks(www.gearinstalls.com) site about cyro'd gears?

I didnt see anything with any proof that cryo was any stronger.

I did see a ring gear ruined by a poor quality instal in his cryo article. The bad installer even managed to ruin an ARB.

Why dont large companies like ARB cryo stuff as part of the mfging process?

How does a cryo treat affect warranty?

Why dont ring and pinion MFGerzs cryo parts when making them? Seems all MFGers want to make the best part, if cryo is so beneficial and cost effective, why dont they do it stock?

Its like a magic wand. Do you believe in magic?

Did it once and would never do it again. Mine broke and had cracks all over.

Didn't a set I did for you out of your old buggy have cryod gears?

Also I have seen stock gears fracture in numerous places--had a set on my rig years back do it.

Thanks fellas...:cool:
Yeah, in all the research I could muster, no real world proof it does anything to make em stronger for our sport/application. Gonna save the loot for some better quality ring gear bolts. :mad: