• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cutting Sod, DIY machines

J

Joc

Im wanting to salvage some of my grass before it gets dug up for a pool. Is there a rental machine that I could get to cut some rolls or squares?
I've seen 2 guys across from where I work do this with a machine last summer but dont know if it was part of a sod company or just something they rented.

Anyone have any idea if its a rental tool?

It's called... A sod cutter. They aren't the easiest to use but if it is a good stand of grass it will out. Crappy thin grass it won't do as well. Also if it is Bermuda it can be difficult if it is dormant or thin. An equipment rental company should carry it if it is typically used in your area

If not use a flat edged shovel cut it in sections and manually dig it out same money on the rental

did a search and now see that it is a rental tool.
I have some thick bermuda but is still dead. Do you think it will be a pain in the butt? Its just an idea but would love to salvage some grass.

I don't know if u have sod available in your area, but where I live u can buy Bermuda sod for $65 a pallet. That covers 450 sqft so by the time u rent the machine,fuel, go pick it up & return the cutter it's not really worth the effort. Not to mention the work to cut it,pick it up, & move it.

4byfan said:
I don't know if u have sod available in your area, but where I live u can buy Bermuda sod for $65 a pallet. That covers 450 sqft so by the time u rent the machine,fuel, go pick it up & return the cutter it's not really worth the effort. Not to mention the work to cut it,pick it up, & move it.

I agree. Sod cutters are for demo, not salvage. Buy a pallet or two. Squares are easy to throw off a pallet. When u cut with a sod cutter, they end up being heavier than sod cut at the farm.

yeah, Im down 3 mile lane by the arena. I think there was a sod farm just down the road but I believe its closed and up for sale.