• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cutting to a waggy width?

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So i am in the midst of my dana 44 build, I am wonder from a fullsize chevy dana 44, how much the tubes get cut down... I can't find anything, or am not looking in the right place, for info on how much, would it just be as simple as knowing the difference in WMS to WMS between the two. but then is the short side axle the same length on the waggy as the fullsize?, requiring no cutting on that side other than rotation on my part. Anyone have any info or sources i could look at... this is bugging me, and i have not an axle in front of me to look at, for physically measuring.:mad:

Another thing was in my research i read that a cherokee chief was slightly wider than a wagoneer...but it didn't say by how much, and i am wondering if going with that width and buying axles for it at the chief width would be better...? I am getting the ALLOYusa shafts (any nay-sayers to those shafts?) but i would like the extra width for more steering clearance against the leafs (right now it hits at a 62" WMS to WMS currently, with 3.75bs on 8 in rims)

What are your thoughts?:corn: I am sort of fumbling between ideas... any first hand experience?

I thought you had a driver's drop t-case...?

This is what I found for width:

1977 Cherokee wide track (FSJ) front Dana 44: 67"

1979 Cherokee narrow track (FSJ) front Dana 44: 61"

I do, (now i feel like more of a jackass than normal:rolleyes: :haha: ) but still, I am just curious to learn about all this stuff. I guess i need to find me a drivers drop axle :redneck: for some damn reason i was thinking i was pass., i think it's because of the luv...:mad: either way i want to know... so say i got a ford drivers drop and wanted to shorten it up a bit, which i am still contemplating my width over... i think i saw a ford f150 width at 65" or so, i have my 5x5.5 knuckle stuff, I am assuming i could just take my knuckles, spindles, rotors, etc and place them on any dana 44 C's....

Ford
Bronco 77 (F) Dana 44 58"
1/2 Ton '70 (F) Dana 44 65" (high pinion)
F250 78-79 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, king pin, leaf spring span: 31.5")
F350 78-79 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, king pin, leaf spring span: 31.5")
F350 '85-'91.5 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, king pin, leaf spring span: 36.5")
F350 '92-'99 (F) Dana 60 69.25" (driver side drop, balljoint, spring span: 36.5")

Early Bronco Width is perfect under rangers and would probably be about right under an S-10.. unless you were wanting to go wider for stability.

I think i want to go wider so i can actually turn! that's my issue, I have bad steering geometry to start, but if it were correct i still wouldn't be able to turn an further because i would hit the springs.... i am now running thoughts of a D60 through my head to throw under it...:stirpot: By the time i build this 44 i could have had a 60 ya know:; so i think i am gonna be researching that now....:rolleyes: :redneck:

Oh, you got teh leaf springs...? I sorry.

no worries, man looking at full szie axles unser an s-10....WIIIIDE:redneck: I can't remember how wide buggy guys are outside of tire to outside but i figure my "setup" would be 84" at the widest and i think my current setup is around 78"...

When I did mine I looked into the ford hi pinion cut down to waggy width.
It can be done, at first I wanted to use the stock short side ford shaft, and custom long side, but would run into oil pan issues unless I lifted it to the sky, and the cost of the custom shaft.

Then I thought cut down both sides and use both stock waggy shafts, I don't recall off the top of my head the length difference, but go to the warn web site and look up the specs on both the waggy and ford replacement shafts and that will tell you the amount to shorten each side.

I got into a hurry and just used the stock waggy front end and am saving my pennies for a high pinion ford, (and by looking in the classifieds I will be saving for a while)

passenger waggy

i have a 87 grand waggoneer front end that is drivers drop, i'd sell the housing and gears (4.88's)shafts and knuckles for $100, pm me if youre interested.

ok, i remeasured and i am at 76" right now outside to oustide, which means my wms to wms is 62",I want to widen my stance 2" to 64" which would put my front at 78" or so.... now i just need to have my fullsize axle narrowed to accomadate that width...:corn:

ok, i remeasured and i am at 76" right now outside to oustide, which means my wms to wms is 62",I want to widen my stance 2" to 64" which would put my front at 78" or so.... now i just need to have my fullsize axle narrowed to accomadate that width...:corn:

i really suggest making it fit an off the shelf axel length. i made the short side bronco length and the long side a custom length and have been kicking myself ever since. this makes the long side shaft expensive. it costs the same to buy a chromo blank as a premade then an additional cost for cutting and splining....every time you break one.:mad:

aim it at a stock length shaft:;

Ya, I am still wanting as slightly wider stance though, I check the diff. between a standard length long side ($175) and a custom ($220), not much of a difference and aside from not have a direct replacement on the trail, the place i am going with carries a 10 year no questions warranty...:eeek: I think there also is a place i could have a "spare" long side made at using one of my stock shafts now for fairly cheap, just to have one on hand.:awesomework:

X2 on looking at the WARN site, finding their axle chart, then comparing shaft till you find the size the will do what you want. Then you know exactly how much to cut off each tube.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited:
I am wonder from a fullsize chevy dana 44, how much the tubes get cut down

I read on another board that cutting 4" out of a chevy D44 will allow the use of waggy length shafts. I don't know anyone personally that has done said operation but you know how internet info is.

I read on another board that cutting 4" out of a chevy D44 will allow the use of waggy length shafts. I don't know anyone personally that has done said operation but you know how internet info is.

I have done said operation already, been months now. :awesomework: I used a stock waggy shaft form a mid 80's. Cut out about 2.5"-3" and fits perfect. I just used warn's chart and the shafts i had and got and went to work!