• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D44 Wobble

GRNTACO

This Space Blank
I built a D44 recently and put all new ball joints in it. I put everything together according to the Dana/Spicer service manual. Which said to torque the bottom bolt to 80ft/lbs, then torque the insert to 50 ft/lbs and lastly the top nut to 100 ft/lbs. Everything was fine then after the first wheelin trip I had a 35mph wobble. Took it apart and the drivers side ball joint had some slop (the wheel bearing had a little play in it also) so I tightend everthing down again according to the manual. Wheeled it and the same thing...................:mad:

Am I missing something?

Is the ball joint toast now?

i NEVER USE torqu specs on them ball joints--all by feel. its possable the insert is binding up and you are getting to the torque spec before the ball joint actually gets the correct pre-load...

crash said:
i NEVER USE torqu specs on them ball joints--all by feel. its possable the insert is binding up and you are getting to the torque spec before the ball joint actually gets the correct pre-load...

Any suggestions? And what should I "feel" when I get there?:rb: :haha:

GRNTACO said:
On the knuckle?

Hmmmmm....that makes sense.

No--the inner tube :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Love ya ben :;

So I did it like you said. When I did the passenger side I tighted the insert until there was some resistance but when I tightend the top nut the resistance was gone. When I did the drivers side I did it exactly the same way but there was still some resistance after tightening.......not much. I took it out last night and banged around and no wobble.

Thanks for the help!:cheer: