• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D60 front prices

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
Can someone explain to me why the older balljoint ford D60s are still bringing well over a grand for a builder axle but a complete SD is 3-600 bucks. The 05+ even have 35 spline inner and outers and are still half the price. I really don't want to run the metric pattern but it's going to be hard to pay double to stick with 8x6.5.

SD is beef but the housing leaves very little room for a leaf spring suspension. That and maybe people don't want to have to get 17" wheels which is preferred for the SD brakes?

The later 85-97 ford 60's bolt in to f-250's from 80-97...might be the reason they still bring a bit more, and the kingpins from 85-91 of course bring more.

xjmarc said:
Can someone explain to me why the older balljoint ford D60s are still bringing well over a grand for a builder axle but a complete SD is 3-600 bucks. The 05+ even have 35 spline inner and outers and are still half the price. I really don't want to run the metric pattern but it's going to be hard to pay double to stick with 8x6.5.

Just re-drill the UBs to use 8x6.5 wheels.

muddinmetal said:
Cleaning the brackets off of a sd60 housing is a dirty, nasty, whore!

TRUTH! There's no telling how many hours I spent with a sawzall, cut-off wheel and grinder to get mine ready for a truss and brackets.

That's what we did. Just redrilled. Heck, I didn't even cut the brackets off. Just used ruff stuff sd radius arm kit. Lost a little ground clearance. But it's just an old beater Cherokee trail rig. If it gets to be a problem, it could very easily be converted to a 3 link.

The Luke said:
That's what we did. Just redrilled. Heck, I didn't even cut the brackets off. Just used ruff stuff sd radius arm kit. Lost a little ground clearance. But it's just an old beater Cherokee trail rig. If it gets to be a problem, it could very easily be converted to a 3 link.

I considered that but I'm looking for a pre 05 if I go with a SD axle because I don't want that extra 4" of width. If I was swapping wheels too it wouldn't be an issue but I'm doing this on a budget.

xjmarc said:
I considered that but I'm looking for a pre 05 if I go with a SD axle because I don't want that extra 4" of width. If I was swapping wheels too it wouldn't be an issue but I'm doing this on a budget.
Preaching to the choir. I did mine on the cheap. Only reason I went with their kit was it was on a deep Black Friday sale.

The Luke said:
Preaching to the choir. I did mine on the cheap. Only reason I went with their kit was it was on a deep Black Friday sale.

Yours turned out sweet. Idk wat that guy charged but he sis a hell of a job lol

Damn right he/you did a hell of a job.

Couple blind goats a 3 legged coon hound named Carl.

xjmarc said:

Chop the long side tube 4"ish and run a shorter shaft ?

xjmarc said:
Can someone explain to me why the older balljoint ford D60s are still bringing well over a grand for a builder axle but a complete SD is 3-600 bucks.

RUSTYC and I had this conversation a while back, we figured it was due to all the 6.0 diesel trucks that got scrapped due to expensive engine fixes. Supply is higher than demand for them vs the old axles. We've seen some in the $200 price range lately. The offroad world must really be the only demand there is for them, I don't ever have them come in the shop needing a whole front assembly.

grcthird said:
RUSTYC and I had this conversation a while back, we figured it was due to all the 6.0 diesel trucks that got scrapped due to expensive engine fixes. Supply is higher than demand for them vs the old axles. We've seen some in the $200 price range lately. The offroad world must really be the only demand there is for them, I don't ever have them come in the shop needing a whole front assembly.

For 200 bucks I'd learn to deal with the extra width.

I chose my 92 because of how weak the knuckles are on the KP axles (also rare and expensive). It was already the right width and lug pattern, steering on top of the knuckle is pretty much the same as steering on the bottom of a high steer arm on a KP (It's really pretty high) and it was $550.
The 05 up fronts are about the same around here, but more plentiful for sure.