• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D60 Gears

Sticks don't slow me down:silly7:

Besides, with the way my lines are set up now I'd have just as much chance tearing off a breakline as the arb line. (yes I've done both):rolleyes:

The comical part about your retort is that there is still a chance

What are the chances of loosing a Detroit when your air or brake lines go? Or your little switch takes a dump, or the compressor stops working.

doesnt happen everytime but if you broke an axle with an arb I bet you could **** it up as well...

It isn't the same and the damage from everything I have seen isn't the same. I am not baggin on Detroits I like them and have NEVER(Knock on wood)EVER had a problem with one. But I have seen a read about the damage that a broken hub or axle can casue.

What are the chances of loosing a Detroit when your air or brake lines go? Or your little switch takes a dump, or the compressor stops working.
There is a chance you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!! What is your POINT?
Yep and if any of those things happen you can FIX IT. Again what is your point? There is a chance Brad can say something nice too but it ain't likely.

So if the DETROIT is SO great then explain how a broken axle with a Detroit can take out the DETROIT and sometimes the gears??

7+ years of use plus a couple of broken axle shafts, u-joints and hubs and never had a problem with the Detroit.

In 7 years of use with your ARB how many issues have you had with the whole system?

I have almost all the Top Truck Challenge movies. in almost every movie, someone in the tank trap is yelling " my ARB wont lock up?".:mad:

I have never heard them cuss at thier detroit.:corn:

I would rather drive with a detriot than a ARB because the ARBhas horrible manners when locked. my detriot is always there waiting for my right foot to tell it what to do.:awesomework:

There is a chance you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!! What is your POINT?
Yep and if any of those things happen you can FIX IT. Again what is your point? There is a chance Brad can say something nice too but it ain't likely.

The point is:

You have two pieces of equipment that serve the same function:

ARB & Detroit

One is more expensive.

One is more complicated

One invloves a lot of extra parts & pieces which when they fail can cause the end use of the equipment to fail as well.

It's called MTBF, Mean Time Between Failure, and that number will only ever be as high as the lowest rated part. Which in the case of an ARB system will be the switch, compressor and/or lines.

So while you are fixing your compressor, changes fuses, replacing switches and tracing air leaks in your lines we'll all be out wheelin :haha: :haha:

Is that detailed enough for your old, cranky, in need of a warm glass of milk and a nap ignorant ass?

7+ years of use plus a couple of broken axle shafts, u-joints and hubs and never had a problem with the Detroit.

In 7 years of use with your ARB how many issues have you had with the whole system?

I have not had my ARB in my Jeep for 7 years so I can't answer that.
But in the 2 years I have had this Jeep together I have had ZERO issues with an ARB component. NONE.

The point is:

You have two pieces of equipment that serve the same function:

ARB & Detroit

One is more expensive.

One is more complicated

One invloves a lot of extra parts & pieces which when they fail can cause the end use of the equipment to fail as well.

It's called MTBF, Mean Time Between Failure, and that number will only ever be as high as the lowest rated part. Which in the case of an ARB system will be the switch, compressor and/or lines.

So while you are fixing your compressor, changes fuses, replacing switches and tracing air leaks in your lines we'll all be out wheelin :haha: :haha:

Is that detailed enough for your old, cranky, in need of a warm glass of milk and a nap ignorant ass?

Take a nap yourself and come over and I'll give you some love.
This debate can go on for YEARS. I have had ZERO ARB failures, no air lines leaking, no compressor issues(don't use a ARB comp) and no switch issues. As I said before every locker has it's good and bad points. Will one ever make everyone happy?? Hell no. The failure in this thread is not due to anything wrong with ARB and you know it. I wonder how well a Detroit case would have held up? Don't know and DON'T care.

Being involved in professional rock crawling for a few year's running, I don't remember a comp where there werent more than one ARB failure, call it misuse, but why have so much stuff built to play hard and have to worry about a sensitive arb? On the same note, I remember 1 competition where a detroit completely failed, and 1 course where a detroit ?stuck?. I have a person that I can I can get hooked up with VERY cheap ARB's (less than the cost of lockright) and I'll be spending my money on another detriot. I see the detroit locker's holding back Jason Paule and Cody Waggoneer ton's:rolleyes:

I wonder how well a Detroit case would have held up? Don't know and DON'T care.

Detroit cases do not hold up any better when there is a ring gear issue.

But that doesn't change the fact that ARB's are, and will always be :rb: for offroad use.

So what other bells & whistles you boltin on while it's torn apart...again?

But that doesn't change the fact that ARB's are, and will always be :rb: for offroad use.

seems like yours was all torn down "again" not to long ago said the pot:haha: I like my detroits as well although at times an ARB in the front would be nice.

ANYTHING I do to my rig is going to be :rb: in your eyes. :kissmybutt:
But it isn't your rig nor is it YOUR money that is being spent on it. So it really doesn't matter what you think. I'll stick with my ARB's and you stick with the corn cob up your ass & we'll all be happy.

Now back to what this thread is all about,
Wayne ordered the new case for the ARB today some hopefully I'll have my axle back by the end of the month.

I put my first ARB in my rig in 94'

Since then I have had 2 broken center pins and 2 broken air lines--one of which was my fault/poor install.. I have had 2 of the older style soloniods fail also......

But this with over 100k on the parts too...:eeek:

But like anything its personal prefernce and ragging on somebody because they chose what they did is lame....

So how far do you take your line of thought?

Manual trans- No extra fluid lines or cooler to worry about. All those internal clutch plates, bands and servos to have a CHANCE failure.... Oh wait, clutches can pack with mud, the hyd throwout brg blow it's seal; There has been more than one person at the end of a tow strap with trans probs.

Manual steering box- With all those extra pumps, hydraulic lines, coolers... too much stuff to go wrong. Brad Lovell was taken out of the Oct. Pomona Rockcross event due to an internal ram failure, a little nut inside backed off... sounds too complicated.

Carb- Because even with all the advancements in FI, who would want to take the CHANCE of a wire or little switch failing and an on board computer to control it... Have you ever looked inside one? There are all kinds of little circuits and diodes and wires and stuff that stand a CHANCE at a failure.

Mechanical fuel pump- I've always thought the failure rate of electric pumps seemed high, there is a whole industry that makes replacement electric fuel pumps. Another part that has ruined peoples day out on the trail. Of course there is a CHANCE that even a mechanical pump could have a seal fail, so maybe the fuel tank should be mounted on the roof and a gravity feed system is the way to go.

I am sure there are a ton more parts that fit that line of thought, don't even get me started on engines, with all those spinning parts at high RPM with a torque load. Some engines even have a couter balance shaft that spins the opposite way that the crank and cam spins. Bogger Bill (Brier) has had so many engine failures out wheeling, he should be trying electric motors.

Everything on your rig is complicated and ran by little switches, springs, dohickies and widgets. Maybe the greenies have it right and the hiking boot is the ultimate off road machine.... oh wait I've broken a shoelace before too....

Jobless said:
]But that doesn't change the fact that ARB's are, and will always be :rb: for offroad use.

I had a epiphany with those words.... when it comes right down to it, all lockers are :rb:. Doug Shipman is the man, running around in his open diffed series Land Rover. When we did Pucker Ridge at Rimrock a number of years ago, he did it open and needed less assistance than many of the locked up rigs did.

So I am thinking it's time to go back to open diffs.... if you are locked, you are :rb: . Guess I'll just leave my little switches off.

flux.jpg

I got one of these I think I'll put in. :haha: :haha: :kissmybutt:

Everything on your rig is complicated and ran by little switches, springs, dohickies and widgets

Maybe everything on your shitbox is held together with "dohickies & widgets" but some of us actually build our rigs to be reliable, which typically means "simpler".

I have a spool in the back and a Detroit in the front...any of you ARB foo's wanna wheel just let me know. I'll be long gone while your all back there pushing buttons trying to make the 1st corner :awesomework:

Pssst....pssssst....:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I dig my arb's but will eventually be swapping them out, Mainly for simplicity sake...and this one detail:

Back when i had my toy i would engage the locker while i was moving, Id try stuff unlocked and if i didnt hook id just hit the button...well in my new configuration it caused the arb(rear) to seize the cross pin and fubar up the engagement teeth. Now i stop and lock up before doing anything..It kinda sucks to have to stop so thats the only reason im switching.

Maybe everything on your shitbox is held together with "dohickies & widgets" but some of us actually build our rigs to be reliable, which typically means "simpler".

I have a spool in the back and a Detroit in the front...any of you ARB foo's wanna wheel just let me know. I'll be long gone while your all back there pushing buttons trying to make the 1st corner :awesomework:

Pssst....pssssst....:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

well as long as ur ring gear bolts dont fall out :fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley: :haha: :haha:

Bunk, you can lock the ARB in while moving, just don't have the wheels spinning at different speeds, so basically let off the gas. No need to stop.

Seizing the gears to the crosspin isn't caused by locking in under throttle. I'd need to see the crosspin to make a call, but it wouldn't be from locking in under throttle. Chewing up the teeth on the locking collar yes, but not siezing the shaft, unless it had been going on a long, long time.