• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D60 rear hubs

CHOP SHOP

Whats it take to put dually front hubs on a d60 rear axle nd then runshafts and driveslugs?

OEM possible or custom parts?

easy or waste of time?

I have hummers and dually front outers. I have to buy 35 spline rear shafts and whhel spacers for the hummers ot fit and match the front.

If I could just run dually outers on the rear it would kick ass and maybe not cost anymore than the first option. Spacers are about the same cash as driveslugs.

??????????????

78ish to early 80's ford 60's have the big spindle
that is what I have and when I had a mishap this past summer I pulled apart a bunch of fords and found the heavy duty ones like camper and such had the big spindles
a few years back I put 14 bolt spindles on a 60 for a guy when we didn't know where to look for the big spindles

78ish to early 80's ford 60's have the big spindle
that is what I have and when I had a mishap this past summer I pulled apart a bunch of fords and found the heavy duty ones like camper and such had the big spindles
a few years back I put 14 bolt spindles on a 60 for a guy when we didn't know where to look for the big spindles

my 60 rear already has big spindles thats why I was thinking there might be a bearing and seal combo that would let this work like a champ.

I can slide a 35 front shaft right in my spindles. The housing has the extra "HD" rib on it too.

I only thought of this cuz I remember robbing wheel bearings for a d60 chevy front out of an old mystery 60 I had out back. Same threads and bearings. But that was long ago and I dont know what that rear was out of.

I recycled my hubs from a 72 dodge....I took a bearing that fit the race and one that fit the spindle and let the bearing company figure it out....they even had a seal to fit.....all you need is a good bearing place

I recycled my hubs from a 72 dodge....I took a bearing that fit the race and one that fit the spindle and let the bearing company figure it out....they even had a seal to fit.....all you need is a good bearing place

so you are using dodge rear 60 hubs on a 60 front? Side like the exact oppisite of what I got going on.

Do you have bolt on locking hubs or internal spline hubs? Cuz the rear axles bolt on like a dodge front 60 locking hub do.

I have rear dodge small spindle hubs on a big spindle ford rear axle
talking about my rear axle build...I narrowed the tube by cutting a chunck out of the tube and welding it back together....so simple it was stupid

I have dodge small spindle hubs on a big spindle ford rear axle
talking about my rear axle build...I narrowed the tube by cutting a chunck out of the tube and welding it back together....so simple it was stupid

years ago I cut down a 44 front and used a sleeve. I cut one side off and took it to my machinist and he cut me a half inch wall tube that was so tight I had to warm it up to slide it over the tube. Set the knuckle angle and welded it up. Its still getting beat ten years later.

Did you swap hubs around for tech reasons or just to use up old parts?

missed that whole drive slug thing.....you need to go to unit bearings for a stupid duty front

missed that whole drive slug thing.....you need to go to unit bearings for a stupid duty front

NO.

Why? this is extra cost for shitty bearings.

a chevy dually front hub is internal spline and if it is on the rear I would run a drive slug and shafts with 35 splines at both ends.

NO.

Why? this is extra cost for shitty bearings.

a chevy dually front hub is internal spline and if it is on the rear I would run a drive slug and shafts with 35 splines at both ends.

everyone has said now for a while that the unit bearing was crap...but with recent data obtained by racers thay are infact the ****....spidertrax
I question Tom about all this right in his shop last summer because I would like to make my axle lighter

spydertrax starts out with a factory oem ford F450 unit bearing

everyone has said now for a while that the unit bearing was crap...but with recent data obtained by racers thay are infact the ****....spidertrax
I question Tom about all this right in his shop last summer because I would like to make my axle lighter

spydertrax starts out with a factory oem ford F450 unit bearing

sorry bill I disliked skateboard bearings when I was akid and still dont like them.

I like to adjust, pack, and inspect my own bearings.

If I got parts for free/almost free and was winning races and didnt care then maybe I would run what other free runners are running.

No units, sorry man.

sorry bill I disliked skateboard bearings when I was akid and still dont like them.

I like to adjust, pack, and inspect my own bearings.

If I got parts for free/almost free and was winning races and didnt care then maybe I would run what other free runners are running.

No units, sorry man.

Werd unit bearings are for cars.

I'm intrigued with the idea of all the swapability. I will probably use this knowledge for later keep the tech coming.

I am old school...full float all the way but I can't ignore that people have run the hammers twice and a couple dessert races all on the same bearing...checked for slop and there was none

spidertrax doesn't give them things away either

I will switch over to the unit bearing some time in the future when I can afford it

and for the hubs they just got used because the big bearing axle didn't come with hubs...

Full floaters are for delivery vans :awesomework:

Really hubs on a rear full float is just another weak link.

Full floaters are for delivery vans :awesomework:

Really hubs on a rear full float is just another weak link.

And ball joints are where queers go to hang out so what's your point? :flipoff:

I don't think there is a problem running slugs on the rear, seems that pretty much every custom axle manufacturer uses straight shafts and drive slugs with great success.

Werd unit bearings are for cars.

I'm intrigued with the idea of all the swapability. I will probably use this knowledge for later keep the tech coming.

I dunno..

How many blown out unit bearings have you seen on rigs.

How many blown out hubs have you seen on rigs.

I don't like unit bearings for their cost and the inability to turn the hubs out. But for pure strength and overall durability they have the edge.

I dunno..

I don't like unit bearings for their cost and the inability to turn the hubs out. But for pure strength and overall durability they have the edge.

How many do you want :haha:

I dunno..

For pure strength I'll take good old fashioned serviceable bearings any day. The only reason the old school spindle and hubs break is from lack of maintenance. Keep them in good shape and they'll last for decades. You can't service unit bearings unless you get the newest highest dollar versions. They also make a spindle so you can convert AWAY from unit bearings which to me says a lot. :D