• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dammit !!! (Please buy a freakin' Tread Depth Guage)

muddinmetal

Guntersville, AL
Guys, I have a problem. I love offroad tires, maybe a little too much, and I don't understand how anyone could not know how much tread is on their tires.

There is almost no excuse for not knowing how much of the original tread is remaining on your tires you have for sale. The tread depths of new tires can be found on the manufacturer's website. If you can't get list an accurate % of how much tread is left on used tires you are either: Lazy, terrible at estimates, or a ****ing LIAR. Period.

Buy one of these, they are cheap and easy to find: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/XTS0/153607.oap?ck=Search_tread+depth_-1_1261&keyword=tread+depth

I could go find dozens of pictures from this site, and hundreds of pics from craigslist to prove my point, but I truly don't want to call anyone out.

Examples:
If a SX had a wear bar that is 4/32s tall, and it is wore to them, that is not "about half tread" that's 20% ish
If a TSL has a wear bar that is 8/32s tall, and it is wore to them, that is not "about half tread" that's 33% ish
If your IROKs are wore even with the 2nd stairstep left on the main blocks, that is not "at least half tread" that's bald (18% or less)

Come on people!!!

Re:

Why not just take a quarter like the ones in the pictures and put your gauge on it to see what's being sold?
Several times I've sold tires and posted the numbers some interested buyers didn't know how to determine the tread left. The quarter truck is the easiest way to gauge... But what do I know... I own a gauge :flipoff1:

Re:

Rokcrler said:
Why not just take a quarter like the ones in the pictures and put your gauge on it to see what's being sold?
Several times I've sold tires and posted the numbers some interested buyers didn't know how to determine the tread left. The quarter truck is the easiest way to gauge... But what do I know... I own a gauge :flipoff1:

I do exactly that every time I see a pic of a coin in a tire :****: