• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Damn new truck fever

grcthird

Birmingham, AL
Well new to me anyway. My 06 1500 bare bones work truck just isn't cutting it anymore so I've been looking for something with a backseat, and more power. :p I really need something more than a half ton anyway. Found a 07 1500hd 4x4 lt with 50k on it that's in great shape, has everything I want and nothing that I don't (except that it is the played out pewter color). I used to have a 03 with all the options on it, and miss the hell out of it. I've seen alot of DMAXs recently for sale that are in my price range. I have considered a DMAX only because (most) everybody here likes them, but unless I get one with over 100k on it they are out of the price range. So do the diesels hold up better with higher miles than the gassers? I'm no diesel mechanic and freaking hate smelling like a truck stop after filling my old flatbed up at work. ::) It will be my main mode of transportation probably seeing sometimes upward of 150 miles a day and will be used like a truck.

Comments, questions, tell me I'm :gay: for considering this truck. Let me hear it.

If that 6.0 truck was a reg cab shortbox the check would already be in the envelope man... I have been looking for a 2wd short box regular cab 02 or newer for the last few weeks with no luck.. Every time I find one it has either had a rough life or is already sold. I am just looking for a small truck to zip around town in and do a little engine work to. I will probably do some head work and a nice cam as well as a custom tune on the ECM. If you guys know of any trucks that fit this bill please let me know so I can take a look at it. THX COLT

i have a 03 2500 suburban loaded with the 8.1 its been my favorite tow rig yet. its stout as hell and nowhere near the maintenance of a diesel. it has 160xxx miles on it and runs like a champ. i have had dang near everyhting but a dodge diesel, and i can say that i would buy another 8100 in a pickup if i needed a bed anyday. its not a daily driver, thats how i can get away with the gas mileage thing. :dblthumb:

do work 93yj your truck is pretty close to what I'm looking for, the 8ft bed is a big bonus for me. I could do a 2wd as long as it had at least a limited slip rear.

RCMafia79 I thought about it but have heard so much bad stuff about the 6.0, that was a really nice truck and a good deal for somebody. Didn't you have a Dodge?

Whiskeymakin what does your 8.1 get for gas mileage? I heard they are awesome for towing.

I think ive had 2 dodges since I met you. A Cummings and a hemi. I've had 2 6.0's. I love them but I have heard other people's horror stories. Personally I wouldn't have another 7.3 but i guess everyone has had their ups and downs with every truck out there. In my book you cant beat a 5.9 Cummins truck. If you can find one at a good price. Good luck on your search

Ive had this fever for a while. But my 02 silverado just won't die. I have 210k on it, same motor, same transmission. I need something better for towing as I tow a boat or an enclosed trailer most of the time. I would like an 03-04 cummins, but they are hard to find.

I just wonder if having a diesel is worth it in the long run? Can i get 210k out of a diesel and not have a couple thousand dollar repair bill? Extra fuel price but better mpg. 6.0s are nice, ive been driving one all weekend hauling lumber but man it sucks the gas about as bad as a 8.1.

Id like to have a supercharged 5.3 in a 3/4 ton truck. Is that too much to ask? Good gas mileage, plenty of power, perfect.

That's knda my deal Matt, I can work on anything with a gas engine, but don't know **** about diesels and I hate having to pay somebody to work on my stuff, for major repairs anyway. I think unless I find a super good deal on a diesel I'll stick to with a gasser.

Anybody have a 6.0 with a tune that gets good gas milage?

I have a new project! Picked up a 2004 1500 ls 2wd with a 6.0 swap this weekend. Shortbed regular cab. I plan on making it into a little street rod, but we will see how that goes!

My 2006 Sierra is a 1500 Vortec Max 6.0, 4x4. After the Bully Dog it's getting 14 MPG city and 18 highway. Being the Max it has the 4L80E trans, and the Semi Float 14 bolt. It does great towing. I can pull most stuff and still get about the same fule milage. Keep in mind the the Max's have the LQ9 engine where the 2500's have the LQ4. little more horsepower out of the Max. It has 4:11 gears, 20's, and 35's. i love the truck and have had zero problems towing with it. It has selectible ride shocks on the rear so you can retain the smooth ride just driving but stiffen the rear up towing.

dads driving an 04.5(lly) dmax with 230k miles and no problems at all... towed my jeep to Harlen and back getting 15mpg

he used to have a 6.0 truck that was an awesome towing truck just got 10mpg towing.

benfowler87 said:
My 2006 Sierra is a 1500 Vortec Max 6.0, 4x4. After the Bully Dog it's getting 14 MPG city and 18 highway. Being the Max it has the 4L80E trans, and the Semi Float 14 bolt. It does great t v6 owing. I can pull most stuff and still get about the same fule milage. Keep in mind the the Max's have the LQ9 engine where the 2500's have the LQ4. little more horsepower out of the Max. It has 4:11 gears, 20's, and 35's. i love the truck and have had zero problems towing with it. It has selectible ride shocks on the rear so you can retain the smooth ride just driving but stiffen the rear up towing.

You piss me off so much. molaugh My stock 06 4x4 v6 5 speed gets 14 mpg :wtflol:

That's good info, I might have to look at that model too, never knew what the vortec max was all about, thanks. thumb.gif

y'all have got to stop this ****, you're giving me the damn truck bug and there is nothing wrong with my current truck but damn a new one sounds good. skully

grcthird said:
You piss me off so much. molaugh My stock 06 4x4 v6 5 speed gets 14 mpg :wtflol:

That's good info, I might have to look at that model too, never knew what the vortec max was all about, thanks. thumb.gif

I get better than that with my 07 5.3 its a ZZ1 4x4 crew cab and figuring it the old fashion way I get 15-16 around town and the last trip i went on I got 20 going and 21 coming home.

wontwork said:
I get better than that with my 07 5.3 its a ZZ1 4x4 crew cab and figuring it the old fashion way I get 15-16 around town and the last trip i went on I got 20 going and 21 coming home.

You got stock size tires? My 08 z71 w/5.3 and 295s only gets 13-14 round town and 15-16 treating it right on the interstate :puke:

Chevy beater: '01 1500 single cab swb v6, auto, 305/70/16's, 177k.
In town: 16-17 (Houston driving, aka run you the f over)
Highway: 18-20 (much less if windy)
With kayak on the rack: subract two mpg.

B.DRAKE said:
You got stock size tires? My 08 z71 w/5.3 and 295s only gets 13-14 round town and 15-16 treating it right on the interstate :puke:

2" leveling kit and 285/75/r17

Looking at going same tire size but with 18" wheels

I get 10/11 towing the buggy hand calculating.

The computer sais that I am getting 25-28 not towing and 17-18 while towing but I keep dreaming of that day.