• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 18 Transfer Case

War-Jeeper

Mailbox Killing War-Ho
Anybody ever taken one apart and rebuilt one? Im getting ready to take apart the two dana 18's i have and make the best one out of the two, but there isnt much info online about them and im a visual learner and i sure cant find any pictures of somebody taking one apart and putting it back together again. So im looking for help i guess in the form of pictures or perhaps acctually coming over and lending a hand cause i have no clue what im doing

This was the most common T/C in a Jeep when I started wheeling...
Take it off the trans.
Pull the pan.
Pull the shift rail Detents & Springs.
Pull the front and rear outputs and shift forks.
Unbolt the keeper and knock the intermediate shaft out don't lose any of the bearings. If you are not going to replace these bearings and the end play is ok then leave it.
Clean everything in solvent.
Replace the shift rail seals.
Use a bit of 'form-a-gasket' non hardening on the detent threads.
Not much to it really.
Fairly strong cases for what they are. Ran 450-horses through one (TH350) in a 2A to a set of 18" Paddles... a loooong time ago.

:beer:

This was the most common T/C in a Jeep when I started wheeling...
Take it off the trans.
Pull the pan.
Pull the shift rail Detents & Springs.
Pull the front and rear outputs and shift forks.
Unbolt the keeper and knock the intermediate shaft out don't lose any of the bearings. If you are not going to replace these bearings and the end play is ok then leave it.
Clean everything in solvent.
Replace the shift rail seals.
Use a bit of 'form-a-gasket' non hardening on the detent threads.
Not much to it really.
Fairly strong cases for what they are. Ran 450-horses through one (TH350) in a 2A to a set of 18" Paddles... a loooong time ago.

:beer:

got any pictures though? as i said im a very visual learner lol

I am surprised you can't find anything on a Spicer 18 rebuild. It has been covered I don't know how many times.

i can find write up on how to do it but no pictures so i have no clue what any of the parts are, ive got a split away view of it but that doesnt help me much

seen both of those pages acctually, i just took the cover off to see what things looked like in the one out of my jeep, found a peice of metal broken in the bottom in three peices not even sure yet what it is. I will take a picture here in a sec and post it and maybe somebody can tell me what happened

if i get to a point where i think i need a manual i might hit you up but i think i have it figured out seems how i have two cases im keeping one fully assembled as a guide and for taking the other apart

Careful mixing the two Xfer together. Throughout the years they change intermediate shafts 3 time (IIRC 7/8", 1.0", 1 1/8"). There are also different input gear teeth counts that cause different intermediate gears.

Just and FYI look out because all D18s are not the same.

ive read both those and i will be measuring the shafts when they come out to make sure i can interchange parts

anybody know how to get the yoke off? the nut that holds it on spins the entire yoke when i try to loosen it. any ideas?

For the average guy, a big set of channel locks on the yoke, and an impact gun on the socket. They do make a spanner wrench tool that holds the yoke while you can use a ratched to remove the nut, but I doubt you'll find that tool.

For the average guy, a big set of channel locks on the yoke, and an impact gun on the socket. They do make a spanner wrench tool that holds the yoke while you can use a ratched to remove the nut, but I doubt you'll find that tool.

i bet i could find it we probably sell it where i work but probably not worth the money

although now i have to buy a big enough impact socket for that stupid nut :mad:

hmm hopefully the machinist at my work has one that i can borrow

I've actually got a Dana 18 with a Warn Overdrive in my garage right now waiting for me to finish my Front Dana 44 rebuild so that I can take it on. Last I struggled with a Pinion nut I found that if I took a propane torch and heated that nut up for 3 to 5 minutes I could then hit it with the impact socket wrench and THEN it would budge.

I highly recommend the Novak total rebuild kit - that's at home, too ;)

i got the yoke off but didnt have a brass drift so get the shafts out but got one today at work but then went to school until now and dont feel like working on it lol

t case

make sure the thrust washers fit tight in the case against the intermediate gear or it will be noisy as hell. on a 18 case it drives off that gear all the time and thats why the intermediate shaft and needles wear so fast on a 18.