• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 44 External hub drive flanges. "SLUGS"

cj5_jeep

Well I asked you guys what my best option was for my external hub dana 44:barf:. I found out that oem parts are rare and expensive. Aftermarket parts are hella weak and expensive. Some of you mentioned drive flanges or "slugs" as an option. So I did a little more research on slugs and decided to make my own. Here they are.

I should also mention the slugs came out of a waggy front 44 with drive flanges.

pyu.jpg

rth.jpg

ghn.jpg

thr.jpg

q.jpg

x.jpg

ed.jpg

image001-3.jpg

Last edited:
looks good.

correct me if i'm worng, but the biggest problem with these is shearing the bolts.

The machines that I work on use a large bull gear that is secured by clamp load. In order to increase the surface friction we put loctite 271 (the red stuff) on the mating surface. this with properly torqued bolts will increase the clamp load and decrease the likelyhood of shearing bolts.

just a thought and its cheap.

looks good.

correct me if i'm worng, but the biggest problem with these is shearing the bolts.

The machines that I work on use a large bull gear that is secured by clamp load. In order to increase the surface friction we put loctite 271 (the red stuff) on the mating surface. this with properly torqued bolts will increase the clamp load and decrease the likelyhood of shearing bolts.

just a thought and its cheap.

Good call I will do that. :awesomework: My main reason for going this route was cause when I pulled my hubs apart the internals were missing and I have had little luck or desire to find parts. So this will work for now or until I pick up some internal style hubs.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the "body" you are putting the drive slug in is whats left of your old locking hub? So you really just machined a cap (looks good however).

I'd rock it.

Might have a set of "factory" external slugs around some were. I have set of external outers that no-one seems to want. Had them for years and memory serves me that it originally came with flanges. I should look next time I'm over there.

I have a set of internal wheel hubs if your looking. Hub/rotor in good shape. PM or e-mail me if your interested.