• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 44 "inner c" cut and turn help

jeepjeep

IMG_0756_zps5a247448.jpg

I've cut all the way around, at least down to the tube if not a little further. Beat the hell out of it in ever direction, tried heat, and tried the air chisel. It ain't even offered to budge. Everyone I've talked to made out like it was a pretty simple job but not for me evidently. What am I missing here guys?

Re: Dana 44 "inner c" cut and turn help

Looks to me like that cut wheel is not going deep enough?

This probably won't make sense but I stuck calipers down in the groove I cut then compared that depth to the measurement from the tube to the peak of the remaining weld. I checked all the way around the cut and I'm at least .050 into the actual tube itself.

Re: Dana 44 "inner c" cut and turn help

When I cut on a weld like that I cut from both directions. I also take a grinding disk and grind the weld out first. I think there is still a lot of weld that needs to be ground down there. Just my 2cents

You cant just cut strait down through thr weld you will never get it off.... got to cut at a 45 deg into the weld to gouge out the weld that is in the knuckle i normaly use a regular grinding disk removes more material

I should have known better, I thought i might get luck and make it weak enough it would break the rest of the weld with a few good knocks. I'll get some undercut going on and finish the job.