• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 50 any good

popcancherokee

I can pick up a dana 50 for a good price will it hold up to 38"swampers or would i have to upgrade any of it.or install and wheel it.or just save and buy a Dana 60.

I assume you mean the 50 out of a Super Duty? Keep in mind it'll be ball joint, unit bearing (both wear out quick, with stock tires on a street driven truck), and have a non-standard 8 lug pattern. Steering angle also is less than stellar. Gears are the weakest point in them and the only thing you can't upgrade really.

If it was dirt cheap, I'd run one in a light non v8 rig on 38's. If you're spending much, it's worth it to spend a little more on a 60.

Thanks not sure whats its out of i have a buddy that works at Pheonix rack & axle.he said he had a Dana 50 laying around.if it the super duty then i would have to run 16" or bigger rims and I'm trieing to stay 15"rim for now since i just got tires.and Brad said i can find 8 lug 15"rim sounds like a 60 best bet ?

if its a superduty dana 50, then you could do better. as stated above, weird bolt pattern, ball joint knuckles, unit bearing hub, brake caliper slide pins like to seize. I dont know if I would call the gears weak tho. My truck weighs 8000lbs, on 35 BFG ATs, and I have done a LOT of 4x4, boosted launches at the drag strip and never hurt anything. I cant imagine a 4000lb wheeler can put much more stress on the gears than I have unless your spinning the tire in the air and then dropping it onto solid rock at high speed. But what drivetrain likes that?

if you are getting one for cheap or free run it but they have 30 spline axles and you can only go down to 5.38's and something like a 9" ring gear.

What do they have in the aftermarket and will you be paying an arm an a leg just like a 60 so why not go with a 60?