• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 axle shaft machining

Rjhoward32006

Okay so i broke a u joint in the front axle. Over steering it because i dont like using knuckle stops but would rather limit the ram. Which i learned i do not have correct because i have the arms pulled back closer to the Kp on the high steer arm. I will be limiting it for a short fix for our race at aop later this month.
I really like the turning radious and would like to keep it turning as far as it is now. So i thought about having the axles machined so i could keep the turning radious i have but not bind the yokes togethor.
Anyone know of a local shop that does this? Or has anyone ever done this?

location is Atlanta area, only shop I've seen do this is out of IN

I did it with a bunch of used cut-off wheels. I dont know if i would do it again, because it took such a long time. Maybe if i found the right size wheel. Im thinking 2", maybe smaller. Still a lot of grind and check, grind and check.

This is on the extreme side...
6ee52b95f7fcd29d592a4f96578fffec.jpg

If all you need is a little bit, a carbide burr and 4.5" flap disk will work. I just did some 1310 and 1350 yokes

okay that answers my questions. I think I just need a little. shortly after the tire is going to hit the link bar. Then I will limit ram to keep it off the link bars and will have no worries of them binding again.
thanks for the info.

Re: Re: Dana 60 axle shaft machining

Rokcrler said:
This is on the extreme side...
6ee52b95f7fcd29d592a4f96578fffec.jpg

If all you need is a little bit, a carbide burr and 4.5" flap disk will work. I just did some 1310 and 1350 yokes
I feel like that much would make the shaft weaker?

I thought so too, but im not one to question Branik :****: Havent seen any broken shafts though.

just as an update in case someone need the info in the future,
WOD said they do not perform this service and referred me to Branik.
Branik charges $300 for a set. That's 2 inners and 2 outers, or $75 a piece.
Haven't heard from Hudlow as of yet

Rjhoward32006 said:
just as an update in case someone need the info in the future,
WOD said they do not perform this service and referred me to Branik.
Branik charges $300 for a set. That's 2 inners and 2 outers, or $75 a piece.
Haven't heard from Hudlow as of yet

Call Hudlow, I don't know if they answer email. Tell him Andrew sent you. 423-362-3006