• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 HP rear strength

Ethann

Hey Hardline!

Just wondering if anyone can lend some advice on the strength of a d60 HP in rear application?

Solid axle industries rear axle
4.88 Yukon High pinion gear set
35 spline chromo axles (Will be ordering some 300m axles in the future if I have axle issues I think)
Solid drive slugs
39" BFG Red Krawlers

Currently have a low powered v8 Land Rover engine (please, don't judge me :flipoff1: ) but looking at a GM based engine in the future.

Curious to know what kind of power/torque figures you guys would run before its too much and become unreliable with the HP?

Lots of rock crawling, adventuring into a little speed based stuff.. along with being able to 'pop it' haha.

Your polishing a turd lol put a 14 bolt in it and forget about it ... The hi pinion in rear application is not good u will b driving on the coast side of the gears which makes it weaker ... I got a buddy that swapped one in rear of a tj with 4.0/5 speed and blew it up 3 times then scrapped it and put 14 bolt in it... Not a desirable axle in my opinion

Humpy said:
Your polishing a turd lol put a 14 bolt in it and forget about it ... The hi pinion in rear application is not good u will b driving on the coast side of the gears which makes it weaker ... I got a buddy that swapped one in rear of a tj with 4.0/5 speed and blew it up 3 times then scrapped it and put 14 bolt in it... Not a desirable axle in my opinion

Same story from a buddy that ran a 60 rear in a TJ w/6.0/43's....band aid it...band aid it.....band aid it......then put a stock 14 bolt in it and forget about it.

I've run a HP60 that I shaved in the rear of my last two rigs for 15+ years. Same axle, same gears(5.13's) no issues. One was a 4K LBS jeep powered by a stock 6.0L the other was a 3.3K LBS buggy with the same motor. Both rigs had 39 Krawlers.

I'm not super hard on my stuff and all I do is trial ride/ crawl. It wheeled everything from Clayton to Farmington and Moab with out an issue. IMO key to "making" it last is knowing what you have and what it can and can't do. That a making sure the gears are set up perfect with some good HEAVY diff. Fluid.

If your going to go fast a HP60 rear won't last jumping and landing on the gas!! That will kill it quick..............same with "Rock Bouncing"

EDIT: My new build has EXTREME shaved HP60 steering axles front and rear if that tells you what I'm comfortable with!

I had one ran it for a while I could ride hard and bust it every ride I went on. got to the point if it hadn't broke when the weekend ride was coming to a close I would bust it on the last trail before putting it on the trailer just so it wouldn't ruin my next trip.LOL built me a sterring 14 no more trouble hadn't missed the hp60 at all it's just enough axle to make you want one. thumb.gif

I run a rock crusher hp dana 60 w/ 4.88's and a detroit in the rear. I busted the ring gear and pinion a yr and half ago but other than that its been great! I run 35 spline axles w/ 39" krawlers and push it with a 5.3ls. Given my rig only weighs right at 3k though

Hmm, thanks for the replies!

Few mixed responses, some good some bad, which I was expecting haha. I do like Blase' reply :p, makes me think I could maybe give it a go and if it become and issue swap out to a 14b. Maybe our conditions down under might help, along with maybe just sticking to crawling. :dunno:

I do know I want to swap the junk box engine out asap though!

I have witnessed a HP 60 in the rear be destroyed by a wrangler with a stock 4.0 and 36s...skip it and go to something else.

A friend of mine built one and has it in his buggy. Not much rock bouncing, but it has held up to Black Hills South Dakota crawling. It is in a Scout based buggy with a FI 360 AMC with a 241/300 doubler. He will use the skinny pedal if needed, I am kind of surprised it has held up so well.

I have a dynatrac hp 60, in my tj with stock 4.0, stock tranny and a 4.3 atlas. Running 40" sticky treps, I have had this rig for 3 years all over the SE with no issues, and the previous owner had this jeep all over the country including 2 separate ultimate adventure runs. Bottom line, if you want to crawl , the hp 60 is awesome, if your going to beat the crap out of it, your going to want to stay away from the hp in the rear. I love the additional clearance I get with the driveshaft high, and not having to use a CV driveshaft is a bonus.
7eryzu5e.jpg

I'll try to round up some videos :)

Here's a picture from yesterday

Thanks for all the replies guys, defiantly taking everything on board.