• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 Lockers?

Pineygroveoffroad

I'm getting ready to buy a locker for my dana60 front axle and my budget is shot! :****: has anyone on here ran a spartan or lock right and if so how strong are they. I've got 10 factory chromoly inner and outer axles and I plan on buying some good joints. If neither of those lockers would be up to the task I'd be buying a Detroit or a Yukon grizzly. My buggy has 6.0, th400, 205, 60f, 14bolt r, 4:56, 42" sx2's, around 3800lb without my big ass in it. Any help would be appreciated

I have a Spartan in mine... I'll probably be selling it soon, just out of fear of breaking it. Haven't really read much about failures.. I wouldn't say that I'm very easy all mine, due to my heavy foot and terrible gearing, not crawl ratio is so low , it doesn't exist.. Haha. But seriously, I have had no problems except a loud POP when in 2 wheel drive with slugs .. Not sure why from what I hear it is normal. Just speaking from experience please do not take my word for it.. If Ya could swing a few more Hundo's Ya could get a full locker.. But on the other hand if you want to save some money just get a spool. Or as 5 bro's and TBITOY and MANY OTHERS would say just grab a welding rod! Ha. Good luck.

I had a lock right in my 60 in the front bc i didn't change gears so I tried to save some money by just throwing the lunchbox in the stock carrier. It worked for a few years but always had loud pops every once and awhile, people regularly thought I broke an axles haft when it happened. Then during a week long moab tr it started popping on the coast side and then also under power. Put new a new spring and pin kit in while out there but didn't help. I ended up putting in a Yukon grizzly and it is quiet and smooth. Based on my personal experience I will never not run a full case locker again in a one ton axle. Just not worthodox the couple hundred it saves.

The lockright did not even look worn on the teeth when I took it out. Other than the loud popping it worked for years in east coast wheeling but 3 days of moab traction was all it could take. I have a Yukon grizzly in the front and a Detroit in the 70 rear and having done the installs and driving it myself I would replace the Detroit with a Yukon as well or a spool if could $$.

My tcase is twin sticked June dog, I just know in Dads buggy it made a huge difference from being welded to switching to a Detroit. I'm gonna take your guys advice and just buy a full locker. Thanks for the info guys

June dog said:
Weld that son a bitch and twin stick the transfer . You can turn as sharp as you want in front dig.
x2 Lockers are for daily drivers. Imho they are harder on parts from shock loading.

Welded is not as hard on parts as a locker shock loading parts when it locks & unlocks under power. When it's welded or spooled the load is cosistant. booyang

Re: Re: Re: Dana 60 Lockers?

4byfan said:
Welded is not as hard on parts as a locker shock loading parts when it locks & unlocks under power. When it's welded or spooled the load is cosistant. booyang
Ok, disagree

Latest posts