• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 rear axle question.

truckbroke

I just got a Yukon Dana 60 replacement rear axle in and it has to be cut to fit. Is there any way I can get away with cutting it one length so I can run it on either side if I need to (trail spare) or are the lengths gonna be to different to get away with that? Running a Detroit locker.

truckbroke said:
I just got a Yukon Dana 60 replacement rear axle in and it has to be cut to fit. Is there any way I can get away with cutting it one length so I can run it on either side if I need to (trail spare) or are the lengths gonna be to different to get away with that? Running a Detroit locker.

I had a 60 and ran a detroit and because of the offset of the spline depth on it, you have 2 different length shafts. Meaning the clutch packs are located to one side of the locker. Make sense?

Yep.. That's what I thinking as well. I figured with a spool you could probably get away with it but, wasn`t sure about the Detroit. Guess I`ll just keep it and cut it when or if its needed.

Well broke another driver side rear shaft the last day in Harlan. Not sure if it was a cromoly or just a Yukon replacement shaft. I have what I know is an actual 4340 shaft to put in there now but, I`m wondering if I should just go ahead and upgrade to 35 spline yukons or try this one more damn time. Does anyone know if it really weakens the axle enough to worry about if you broach out the axle to accept 35`s?? Isn`t the spindle the only thing you have to broach??

Yeah that's what I'm starting to think. This is the first rig I've ever had a 60 rear in and I believe I'm with ya on that one. Put a damn pig in it and be done.

CHASMAN9 said:
I had a 60 and ran a detroit and because of the offset of the spline depth on it, you have 2 different length shafts. Meaning the clutch packs are located to one side of the locker. Make sense?

I had no idea, good to know.

I've thought about picking up some trail spares, I'll have to keep that in mind.

What kind of value would you guys put on this axle? Dana 60 with Blue Torch Truss, Disc brakes, 30 spline Detroit locker, Yukon 30 spline 4340 cromoly axles and one brand new in the box Yukon 4340 30 spline spare axle (it can be cut to fit either side). What do ya`ll think is a fair price.

Re:

I've seen a rear d60 w/35 splines take a helluva beating and not break. Kind of amazed. With that said....I've seen many 14bolts jus get all nasty and twisted up and didn't phase it.

Man I`m just kinda over the 60. I been wheeling since 98 and have never ever had to worry about a rear end (always had a 14). Its probably not the 60s fault. I mean I`m running 43" stickies on 30 spline axles. I been going back and forth with just going to 35 splines and a spool and probably would if I already had a 60 that would take the 35s but, mine would have to be bored out, buy new axles, and buy a spool. I can pickup a 14 bolt for 75 bucks. I`ve already got a new BTF truss and pinion guard setup in the shop, Detroit locker and a disc brake kit. Only thing I`d have to buy is the gears and the Barnes 13 bolt cover. The only thing I can say I really like is the ground clearance of the 60. I was looking at doing the full shave on the 14 but, really starting to lean towards doing the Barnes 13 bolt cover instead. Kinda curious if the 14 is gonna have about as much clearance as the 60 once the 13 bolt cover goes on.

With that being said what ya`ll think a fair price for the 60 would be? 400-500 bucks or am I dreaming.

I did the 13 bolt thing.....for the im pleased.

b2c45431101c6fbe8f3fd03080b86383.jpg

ccb6b22b8cc56821dbf201b48c28f869.jpg

truckbroke said:
What kind of value would you guys put on this axle? Dana 60 with Blue Torch Truss, Disc brakes, 30 spline Detroit locker, Yukon 30 spline 4340 cromoly axles and one brand new in the box Yukon 4340 30 spline spare axle (it can be cut to fit either side). What do ya`ll think is a fair price.

What gears are you running out of curiosity?