• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60's or a9 inch?

:beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

not this same old question

if you own a toyota.. then toyota.. just ask them they will preach it

if you like ford's than a 9" .. ask them "there not the brightest :redneck: "

if your building a tough wheeler to beat, then 60's ..proven over others

my $.02 is a high 60 is weaker than a low, from what I'm told ??

and I'm not debating this

:kissmyass:

Last edited:

In what application? As a front, the HP would be stronger, because the gear set is operated on the "drive" side, as it would be in a low pinion, rear application while going forward. The LP 60 in a front application is operating on the coast side of the gear set, like you are driving in reverse in a rear application..

Though, I guess you'd be on the strong side of one gear set weather going forward or reverse with a low pinion at each end.

:eeek:

this is funny...

a 9 inch has 3 pinion bearings. that makes the pinion stronger.
it has more tooth contact, too.

a 9 inch 78-79 Ford has 31 spline axles.
a dana 60 has 30 spline axles unless you find one of the rare as hens teeth 35 spliners..

the 9 inch has a lower pinion.
the 60 has a higher pinion by about 1.25 inches.

the 9 inch is lighter.

the 9 inch has a steel housing you can weld to.

9 inch parts are cheap.

you gotta ask these questions?

:beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

not this same old question

if you own a toyota.. then toyota.. just ask them they will preach it

if you like ford's than a 9" .. ask them "there not the brightest :redneck: "

if your building a tough wheeler to beat, then 60's ..proven over others

and I'm not debating this

my mistake, im planning on brand new not used...:awesomework:

and will a HP 60 in the rear stand up to 42's and trail use only...

i am not sure that i will need a HP or not, i just wanted to know if they would stand up to a beating on the coast side or if there will be any over heating issues with the HP in the rear

i realize that a low pinion is much stronger, but from my understanding you can only rotate the housing up so far to correct pinion angle before the oiling becomes insoficeint? and when you say 9in ring gear, are you talking a Hp 9in or Lp

i realize that a low pinion is much stronger, but from my understanding you can only rotate the housing up so far to correct pinion angle before the oiling becomes insoficeint? and when you say 9in ring gear, are you talking a Hp 9in or Lp

Well how far you have to rotate it up? What's it going in and what's your current d-shaft length?

Ford 9" low pinion for sure...I'm unaware of how the tru-hi 9's are set up and which side of the gear they drive on.

http://www.truehi9.com/

Last edited:
Well how far you have to rotate it up? What's it going in and what's your current d-shaft length?

Ford 9" low pinion for sure...I'm unaware of how the tru-hi 9's are set up and which side of the gear they drive on.

Hi-9's are actually a very well engineered product--took the junk currie built and improved it greatly--but by the time you get one fully setup you are equal to the prive of a hp60....

And I am not 100% on which side of the gear they run on....

i am not sure how far i will need to rotate , i haven't started building anything yet i just want to get a good idea of what i am going to need to run, like i said i only know toyota stuff, and i know you are running 1 ton stuff so schooly me brad:flipoff:

i am not sure how far i will need to rotate , i haven't started building anything yet i just want to get a good idea of what i am going to need to run, like i said i only know toyota stuff, and i know you are running 1 ton stuff so schooly me brad:flipoff:
Brad run's highly modified 9's.

D60 front (low or high, your choice depending on what you get and/or what you want to build).

D60/D70 or 14B rear. 14B offers the best bang-for-buck, D70 will net you 35-spline shafts if you shop right, but D60 is the smallest overall product that will get the job done, but you need to built it to take 35-spline shafts.

*I* wouldn't do a HP anything in the back with 42's. Drive on the strongest side of the gear, period.

But I'm just a webwheeler.

I like Brad's 9's for strength/size/weight ratio, but would probably be cheaper/faster just to use Dana's.
________
The Cigar Boss

Last edited:
Brad run's highly modified 9's.

I like Brad's 9's for strength/size/weight ratio, but would probably be cheaper/faster just to use Dana's.

Depends...my rear housing was put together from freebies from the scrap metal place...

No-name nodular 3rd members, which is a savings over Strange or other brand names.

1/2 ton GM calipers...cheap.

Generic off the shelf Randy's rear 35 spline FF axles cut to fit...cheap

The front was more money because we gutted a Dana 50 for everything from the knuckles out.

I agree with Robin, if I had to do it all over I'd start with the spidertrax housing and give their knuckles a try :cool:

I agree with Robin, if I had to do it all over I'd start with the spidertrax housing and give their knuckles a try :cool:

X2.

I just got done building a set of "junk yard" 60's and even with lots of free stuff and bro deals IT STILL COST A SMALL FORTUNE:rolleyes:

.............and when I look underneath at the boat anchor bottoms it makes me cringe.

I'll start collecting parts for spider nines and queer sterr soon

i am not sure that i will need a HP or not, i just wanted to know if they would stand up to a beating on the coast side or if there will be any over heating issues with the HP in the rear

Well I am REALLY SURPRISED no one even pointed you to this thread, http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15299

I have a Tera CRD60 rear axle that I have distroyed 2 ring gears in less than 4 months. I am only running 35" tires and a stock 5.2L V-8. So I would say NO!!
Not sure what over heating issues your talking about.