• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 70 gears in a Dana 60

Matt O. said:
I skimmed through it, was the cost on the 70 gear kit?

Depends on which kit you get. He offers a couple of different ones. I think for the kit with everything its around $500 or so.

Sounds good if you already have an OEM style axle.
But if I'm going 40spline I think you have to go this route, but no way would I use an OEM housing. Fab'ed housing all the way.

So Cole, lets say now you have 300m 40 spline shafts, D70 gearset, what are you going to start breaking? Atlas Gear Sets?
I'm just pumped to see all the new **** thats come to market this week.

Ballistic 7075 hubs with integrated rotor mounts
BTF Unit Bearing Eliminator
Solid Axles 40spline stubs, spindles and hubs
Now the Jana stuff

BADASS!!!

InDaShop said:
So Cole, lets say now you have 300m 40 spline shafts, D70 gearset, what are you going to start breaking? Atlas Gear Sets?
I'm just pumped to see all the new **** thats come to market this week.

Ballistic 7075 hubs with integrated rotor mounts
BTF Unit Bearing Eliminator
Solid Axles 40spline stubs, spindles and hubs
Now the Jana stuff

BADASS!!!

Yeah, know telling what will break next, hell they already have upgraded Atlas gears.
The 70 conversion should be good for people who already have time invested in there OEM 60.
I agree if starting from scratch then a fabricated housing would be the best way to go.

This is BAD ASS!!!! I've looking into fitting D70 35spline shafts in my rear 60 project and this just added more work to do... I still gotta figure out my spindle thickness vs a D70 to make sure its going to work.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/D70/D70.htm

With a D70 guts in a 60 + the added ground clearance and less weight .... what's a 14B?

kid rok said:
It's GM's oem axle. most refer to it as a corprate axle. Their found in one ton chevy trucks and vans. :flipoff1:

LOL... nice one Brad molaugh but I sure wouldn't consider a 14B now with these options for a d60. I don't plan on running anything larger than a 39 anyway... so it'll be a great setup!

If you're starting with a 60 the 70 gears make sense. But I think I'd still rather have a 14-bolt. The ring gear is the same size but the pinion support bearing adds A LOT of strength that many people overlook IMO. It also has a really short pinion compared to Dana axles and is infinitely easier to setup gears in and work on with the removeable pinion housing and threaded carrier collars.

J. J.

Just run rockwells and save some coin and be 2 and a half times stronger.Monster truckin over **** is the only way.

this is cool to know but for me I would rather have a 14 bolt with a pinion support bearing than bigger ring gear and no pinion supported bearings

Domino2205 said:
this is cool to know but for me I would rather have a 14 bolt with a pinion support bearing than bigger ring gear and no pinion supported bearings

That's what I was saying but isn't a d70 ring the same size as a 14 bolt?

J. J.

patooyee said:
That's what I was saying but isn't a d70 ring the same size as a 14 bolt?

J. J.
yes... 10.5" ring gears on both... IMO if i was building from scratch, 14B all the way, but i have a metric **** ton in my 60, so i will gladly buy this...

Anyone have any experience with the newer 14 bolts with the smaller ring gears and factory disk brakes. Randy's book says they are rated for 44s , but haven't seen them tested personally?

Latest posts