• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana35

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
I got on in my shop and for the life of me I cannot remember the last axle bearing I did in a dana35. In any case I got the bearing out last night and the bearing sits in a large cup with a seal and on the inside . The new bearing is just that a bearing. Do I need to get a new cup/inner seal also? Now the cup that I pulled out last night the bearing looks like its part of the cup....

You talking about the outter bearings or the carrier bearings. :wtf:

EDIT:
post a pic. I've worked on a few of these (BTDT thing)

are you talking baout the rubber seal? Yes it should have one. It suppose to keep the water out.

So is there supposed to be an inner and outer seal on the axle shaft?
I understand there is supposed to be a seal outside the bearing but this one had one inside the bearing....

I know this guy.....

It sounds like a M35 with bolt in axles?

Inner seal: National #473212
Outer seal: #2146

Bearing: Set 9

so an inner, and outer seal. The bearing is a cup/cone combination. You don't NEED an new inner seal, but she may leak if you don't

Little Red Zuk said:
I know this guy.....

It sounds like a M35 with bolt in axles?

Inner seal: National #473212
Outer seal: #2146

Bearing: Set 9

so an inner, and outer seal. The bearing is a cup/cone combination. You don't NEED an new inner seal, but she may leak if you don't

Its a c-clip 35 I believe (97 jeep grand) its not a dana 44

The C-clip axle has both a bearing and a rubber seal from what I remember. And from what I remember there both back to back. First the rubber seal, then the bearing. I dont remember there beaing any other seals on the tubing. The only other bearings are the carrier bearings. and Pinion ofcourse.

crash said:
Its a c-clip 35 I believe (97 jeep grand) its not a dana 44
C-clip bearings do not have an inner seal. Just the torrington bearing, and an outer seal.

The bearing is fed via diff oil.

AK 1563 is our part number if you need.

Little Red Zuk said:
C-clip bearings do not have an inner seal. Just the torrington bearing, and an outer seal.

Thanks daren. I have both seal/bearing sitting here at work..

Little Red Zuk said:

Ok the # on the removed bearing is RP 1563. So they gave me the wrong parts then.....

crash said:
Ok the # on the removed bearing is RP 1563. So they gave me the wrong parts then.....

RP 1563 is a repair bearing, with a goofy offset to limp an axle along a little farther. I bet there's some grooving in the shaft.

Axles are cheap.

Little Red Zuk said:
RP 1563 is a repair bearing, with a goofy offset to limp an axle along a little farther. I bet there's some grooving in the shaft.

Axles are cheap.

I have new shafts :D

So this beaing setup is more than a standard bearing so I aint going crazy :redneck: Do you show an OEM part # crossover daren? I won't be able to make it up north to grab one...

Don't have the Jeep/Chrysler/GM OEM number, but it's a VERY common bearing.

BCA # 5707
National seal number 8660S

Fits all M35 C-clip axles, GM passenger car c-clip axles (Caprice, S-10's,) and Ford passenger car. You should be able to find Napa, Schmucks, Les Schwab, etc...

Thanks daren--carquest just delivered one :D

So under normal situations is there just a standard bearing and seal (like a corpurate axle which is what I very used too)?

Yessir.

Someone just put a repair bearing in. We try to discourage it as much as possible due to leakage, and it just eats away a different part of the axle.

For C-clip axles, there's about 5 bearing/seal combinations that cover 95% of applications