• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Detroit breakage

no I won some alloy usa axles, picking up a housing for $40. So my dana 30 is up for sale and I'll be building a 44

I'll probably be parting this housing out at the swap meet next month, FYI for anyone who might be in the market.....

I have personally broken 5 detroit side gears. Finally stopped it by welding one solid to the case and leaving the the other free to unlock. no more problem.

Looking at a new locker for a 60 now and am thinking about staying away from the detroit. I hear the lockrites hold up better and are cheaper. Or just say heck with it and go selectable.

I have personally broken 5 detroit side gears. Finally stopped it by welding one solid to the case and leaving the the other free to unlock. no more problem.

Looking at a new locker for a 60 now and am thinking about staying away from the detroit. I hear the lockrites hold up better and are cheaper. Or just say heck with it and go selectable.

your breaking side gears???? you sir are amazing, 99% of the time it's the clutch and hold out ring.

A bent housing will cause premature breakage in detroits, as it will in all others. Also oversize tires will do the same. My guess is that it was damaged the first time, and something in there hasn't been replaced that is out of spec from being broken. (I know, good luck finding spec's on all the internals)

Are you really talking about the side gear? The part that the axle actually slides into??? As Darius mentioned, usually the part that breaks is the clutch and hold out ring assembly. The side gear slides into the clutch and hold out ring assembly.

Gary- I'd suggest you check your housing.

Are you breaking them in 9's, 44's or 60's right now?

dana 44, housing is straight, in all actuality it is 4 clutches and one side gear broken.

I think it has something to do with 40" tires and not wanting to give up. I will winch if I think it is not possible, but if I am close, I am not giving up.