• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Detroit locker in reverse

Its when a diff builds backlash, that the locker locks, correct?

There are two diffrerent backlashes involved here. First is the backlash of the ring and pinion set which has nothing to do with the Detroit. I think you're referring to the backlash of the internal parts of the Detroit which in a round about way you're correct. More specifically when the backlash is eliminated it unlocks. Remember it's locked by default and only unlocks when criteria is met.

OK- here's scoop:

Every car on NASCAR has a Detroit Locker. They rarely are totally off the gas and the locker will unlock when the outside tire needs to overspeed to navigate the corner. A Detroit is always locked until it must unlock for cornering. It can only unlock if the torque applied by the drivetrain can be overcome by the traction surface. This means that in the right conditions a Detroit will unlock in mud or snow. With too much throttle they won't unlock.

Joop's point was that he has a Detroit up front and a spool in the rear axle and they don't act alike in most situations.

As for axle breakage with a Detroit, I know why it happens but don't have a clue as to why some guys can break numerous shafts, u-joints and hubs and never break while another guy softly breaks a hub and breaks the Detroit. Detroit breakage is not nearly as common as some would like you to believe. There isn't really any model more prone to breakage but D30s seem to break less often than most (but they do break- right Karl?).

The main part that breaks in a Detroit is called a clutch and hold out ring assembly. The exact same part number is used in many models including Dana 44, 9" Ford, 8.8 Ford, 8" Toyota and more.

One wheel turns faster than the other when motion is stopped? You're right that is dumb.:haha:

when your junk stops because the inside tire is spinning then both axles spin the same yes but when your junk is going around a corner the outside tires is alowed to rotate faster

I think you are getting it

that clicking sound you hear is the locker alowing the outside tire to rotate faster than the inside

this is like talking to a 6 year old...... phuck

do I need to explain why the tires spin different speeds on a corner?

if they didnt stay locked under hard throttle then when I am doing dognuts with my junk with a detroit in it I would only leave one rubber patch......

People also seem to think that Detroits actually POWER a tire faster than the other side. While there are times this appears to be the case, it is incorrect.

There are times when climbing a tough hill, usually high speed, that a front tire gets airborne and spins faster than the diff. This is due to axle shaft wind up. The shaft is winding up like a torsion spring and when the tire leaves the ground the spring action causes the the tire to overspeed and unlocks that side. The tire is spinning but it is not receiving torque from the diff.

do I need to explain why the tires spin different speeds on a corner?

You don't need to explain anything to me but if you explain it wrong I will call you on it.

unless under load then it spins the same as the inside tire

If you still believe this then you're still wrong. Believe what you want but if you spread bad information you will likely get called on it.:cheer:

People also seem to think that Detroits actually POWER a tire faster than the other side. While there are times this appears to be the case, it is incorrect.

There are times when climbing a tough hill, usually high speed, that a front tire gets airborne and spins faster than the diff. This is due to axle shaft wind up. The shaft is winding up like a torsion spring and when the tire leaves the ground the spring action causes the the tire to overspeed and unlocks that side. The tire is spinning but it is not receiving torque from the diff.

good example of how in the real world a detroit alows one side to rotate faster

You don't need to explain anything to me but if you explain it wrong I will call you on it.

If you still believe this then you're still wrong. Believe what you want but if you spread bad information you will likely get called on it.:cheer:

you my freind are the one who does not get it...are you going to have a tantrum now? :kissmyass:

if they didnt stay locked under hard throttle then when I am doing dognuts with my junk with a detroit in it I would only leave one rubber patch......

Because you lost traction. It's about traction and the resulting wheel speed. Why would you leave a single tire patch when the diff is locked by default.......People seem to be thinking about this backwards. The Detroit doesn't lockwhen conditions are met it's locked all of the time until the conditions are met then it unlocks.

Because you lost traction. It's about traction and the resulting wheel speed. Why would you leave a single tire patch when the diff is locked by default.......People seem to be thinking about this backwards. The Detroit doesn't lockwhen conditions are met it's locked all of the time until the conditions are met then it unlocks.

your being a tool Binder....calling you out on it now

:stirpot:

you my freind are the one who does not get it...are you going to have a tantrum now? :kissmyass:

Oh I do get it and lets carry this on.........By your definition it's about throttle correct? The Detroit locks when under throttle?....What about when you're pushing your Jeep? When you push it Flintstone style and turn does one wheel drag?
Did you read page 6 linked above? Does it say anything about throttle?:corn:

Latest posts