• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Detroit locker in reverse

How do you know this?....Really it sounds to me like it's probably working correctly but it's just not doing what you think it should be doing.

For example, if I drive my front left tire up to a verticle obstacle and engage the front axle when I meet that obstacle, or if I come up to the obstacle on very light throttle or neutral throttle, (think pressure on gears):

That front left tire sits there dead stick, while the front right turns. Actually, all three turn at that point, causing me to pivot around the obstacle rather than go up it.

Now, if I have some throttle going, or better said, some pressure on the gears when my tire approaches that obstacle and makes contact, it will be locked in and power up the obstacle.

It's pretty rare to have the front locker engaged prior to reaching the obstacle allowing the tire to climb.

What is supposed to be the same style detriot in the back (amc20) does not operate like this. It's always locked up unless there's a reason for it not to be.

I have seen detroits do some funky $hit eh...installed so many of them in 44's that I have almost a full 5 gal bucket of 44 carrier bearings (can't seem to throw them away because they all seem good but everyone wanted new bearings)

so when I was ready to pull the trigger on a locker I went with an arb and I am one of those fortunate ones who have had no problems with it in 10 years...

For example, if I drive my front left tire up to a verticle obstacle and engage the front axle when I meet that obstacle, or if I come up to the obstacle on very light throttle or neutral throttle, (think pressure on gears):

That front left tire sits there dead stick, while the front right turns. Actually, all three turn at that point, causing me to pivot around the obstacle rather than go up it.

Now, if I have some throttle going, or better said, some pressure on the gears when my tire approaches that obstacle and makes contact, it will be locked in and power up the obstacle.

It's pretty rare to have the front locker engaged prior to reaching the obstacle allowing the tire to climb.

What is supposed to be the same style detriot in the back (amc20) does not operate like this. It's always locked up unless there's a reason for it not to be.

Definately something wrong with the front.

I had a prototype Detroit 'Electrac" locker for a couple years. It's a truetrac guts, with an added electric locking function. When it was unlocked (or in Truetrac mode) it operated the same as you just described.

I'm wondering if you got a Truetrac shipped by mistake in a No-Spin box, and simply installed it.

FWIW- If you try the test and when the t-case is locked in gear and you spin one tire and the other tire turns in opposite direction, you probably have a Truetrac.

FWIW- If you try the test and when the t-case is locked in gear and you spin one tire and the other tire turns in opposite direction, you probably have a Truetrac.

I'll be checking it out this weekend. Now I'm curious.

i really notice how mine reacts compared to the spool in back. i run a spool out back and a full detroit up front on my buggy and my sammy. when i pull up to an obstacle dead stop and start to climb the rear defenately spins first then the front goes but this is very brief and i have to be barely crawling, but if any throttle is applied it is locked. so i guess that would be a test also maby? crawl with no throttle and see and even then if it meets any resistance it will lock.

i really notice how mine reacts compared to the spool in back. i run a spool out back and a full detroit up front on my buggy and my sammy. when i pull up to an obstacle dead stop and start to climb the rear defenately spins first then the front goes but this is very brief and i have to be barely crawling, but if any throttle is applied it is locked. so i guess that would be a test also maby? crawl with no throttle and see and even then if it meets any resistance it will lock.

Mine does too. It always scares me because it's usually the drivers tire that I line up and I'm think I broke something until it starts going. :cool:

Latest posts