• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Detroit locker in reverse

No go read the last couple pages of the "id small block chevy" thread and read lamar's posts. THAT will show you a bitch replies. :haha:

he was gone.....Lamar that is and someone brought him back and I did read a bit of that... I lol ed

I think we're saying the same thing here. As I said-"It can only unlock if the torque applied by the drivetrain can be overcome by the traction surface."

BTW- I'm Scott:redneck:

And your scarey--in a dark alley kinda way :redneck:

Oh I do get it and lets carry this on.........By your definition it's about throttle correct? The Detroit locks when under throttle?....What about when you're pushing your Jeep? When you push it Flintstone style and turn does one wheel drag?
Did you read page 6 linked above? Does it say anything about throttle?:corn:

I know the detriot in my front 44 only locks up under power/load from the engine.

If I pull a tire up to an obstacle and it has to cover more ground than the other it will NOT move under power, it'll just sit there like I was open diff.

I have to make sure that I have the front end under a little load before my tire contacts the obstacle at which point the detriot stays locked and allows me to climb up.

I know the detriot in my front 44 only locks up under power/load from the engine.

If I pull a tire up to an obstacle and it has to cover more ground than the other it will NOT move under power, it'll just sit there like I was open diff.

I have to make sure that I have the front end under a little load before my tire contacts the obstacle at which point the detriot stays locked and allows me to climb up.

Something isn't right here. Did you buy and install it? It's either broken or it's not a Detroit Locker. Tractech used the Detroit name in front of other products like the Detroit Truetrac, Detroit E-Z Locker and the Detroit Gearless Locker. Could this be a case of mistaken identity?

Something isn't right here. Did you buy and install it? It's either broken or it's not a Detroit Locker. Tractech used the Detroit name in front of other products like the Detroit Truetrac, Detroit E-Z Locker and the Detroit Gearless Locker. Could this be a case of mistaken identity?

I was thinking wore out lock-outs since it is a front we are talking about here....It is my experience that drive flanges work best with a locker instead of lock-outs
my .02

The locker itself is about 8 years old, but it's done it since it was new. I pulled it from the box and installed it myself, purchased from RRP. 99% sure the packaging on both said no-spin.

I do recall telling them the 44 was for a front, because I always just excused it as a different setup to grab slower(?) for front axle applications?

Honestly, up until now, I've just considered it a nuisance and adjusting my driving around it.

I was thinking wore out lock-outs since it is a front we are talking about here....It is my experience that drive flanges work best with a locker instead of lock-outs
my .02

I've had two different set of hubs on, both new, both warn premium hubs, same deal. The tire does spin under power, it just won't "lock" unless under power. But if I'm heading down the road in 4WD, sometimes the front detriot will cause the jeep to pull to one side either under power or coast. I'm sure two different tire pressures are the ultimate cause to the pull, but that does tell me the front detriot is engaged.

The front detriot has also never made any real noise. Not like the rear one sometimes does.

my .02

It doesn't sound like a lock out issue to me.

I have both, drive flanges and hubs and don't really have a preference. I see more locking hub failures with 44s than I do with 60s.

The locker itself is about 8 years old, but it's done it since it was new. I pulled it from the box and installed it myself, purchased from RRP. 99% sure the packaging on both said no-spin.

I do recall telling them the 44 was for a front, because I always just excused it as a different setup to grab slower(?) for front axle applications?

Honestly, up until now, I've just considered it a nuisance and adjusting my driving around it.

I've had two different set of hubs on, both new, both warn premium hubs, same deal. The tire does spin under power, it just won't "lock" unless under power. But if I'm heading down the road in 4WD, sometimes the front detriot will cause the jeep to pull to one side either under power or coast. I'm sure two different tire pressures are the ultimate cause to the pull, but that does tell me the front detriot is engaged.

The front detriot has also never made any real noise. Not like the rear one sometimes does.

You should do the locker test shown on page 12. You'll know right away what's up.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128312.pdf

ok...I didn't invent the thing but my guess is wore out/on it's way out from running on lock-outs
the poor detroit is in there wondering wtf with all that slack in there from the lock-outs...the rotating mass is springing the tire forwards and back escalating the wear in the carrier

I have also noticed the difference in the life of a 60 detroit and a 44 detroit...

They really don't wear out. Do the test. My guess is that is a Truetrac. It this a 44 or 60?

Latest posts