• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

diamond axle or ruffstuff?

alscott

looking to do a high clearance 9" next year an was wondering who had experience with either of them? If i go diamond axle it will have reid C's already on it compared to if i go ruffstuff ill put solid C's on it. Ive heard that the reid C's arent as strong as the solid ones cause their cast? thoughts or experience? thanks

Both are reputable company's I've never seen a Reid c break I have seen a solid break just my experience I had two sets of Reid's on a buggy!

thanks for info guys an nick i had thought about that but figured it was outta my price range so i never looked into it. fixin look at em though

It is crazy you are going to do a hi 9 front and shaved 14 rear. I have been looking into this exact set. So far I have 85-91 35 spline inner and outer yukon chromoly axle shafts and a Tru Hi 9 with 5.38s and locker. Still got a shitload of parts to go.

Re: Re: Re: diamond axle or ruffstuff?

TBItoy said:
**** man I'd do a 14b front too!

No way I'd spend the jack on a 9" for the front. The 3rd member alone will cost about as much as building a 14 front
This guy! 8):-*

I mean hell....anything Ford based surely gonna suck compared to chevy stuff 8)

Shoulda been more specific I guess lol. Goin do a high clearance 9 housing not a true high 9 3rd member. Goin run ECGS 9" 3rd. Just always wanted one over anything else so while I'm still young an dumb I might as well lol

Re:

I think I've been in Toyotas too long.

It's burned into my mind that you have to run the same size/type of diff front and rear!

The ecgs comp 3rd seems like a good thing. I reckon I'd have to run one in the back also. Either 2x 9" or 2x 14b for me.

You'll still be dealing with a 28spline pinion and super low pinion in the front though. Just a thought to consider.

Some 9" gearsets are available in a 35 spline pinion. With the 14 bolt out back and 35 spline pinion in the front, good shafts would be a strong combo.
Another benefit to using the 14 bolt in the rear is the ability to use an ARB and cutting brakes. The 35 spline rd99 arb for a 9" is not know for its strength.
Makes me wish I would have used a 14 in the rear of mine instead of a 9" for that reason.

alscott said:
aint worried bout pinion being low. cant be no lower or much lower than my 9.5 is now

True.

It will be a bit lower, but not enough to make a difference in a buggy I assume.

You putting the new axles in your same chassis?

TBItoy said:
True.

It will be a bit lower, but not enough to make a difference in a buggy I assume.

You putting the new axles in your same chassis?

yea i thought about building a new one but aint got time... maybe one day. just goin change few minor things on mine

Latest posts