• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Did you use a 4link caculator to help you design your suspension?

Boxxerace

Do any of you successfully use one of the 3 or 4 link calculators found on the net to help you design your suspension?

Are you happy with the results, or did the suspension calculator spit out a bunch of bunk? (no offense Bunk...)

Check out: http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/4linkcalcv15html/index.html

attachment.php

I did.
At offroad.com they have the basics for building 4 link,
like keeping lowers paralell
make uppers 75% lenth of lowers
And some good other stuff.
Mine performs good, handles great on the street, Wheels good. Very stable, I drove the driver side front tire onto the trunk of a subaru,from flat ground, my passenger could reach out the window and touch the ground, and it didnt roll. still felt stable.
But I pulled it all out and put it in my 95 x-cab that will have efi and dual cases, that will be a better test.
DSCF2292.jpg

dan1.jpg

dan2.jpg

greg1.jpg

greg2.jpg

greg2-1.jpg

No.

You only need to know two things when it comes to 4-link suspension design.

S&N

Why re-invent the wheel when they have already perfected it :beer:

Nope, Mine was more about space availability, clearance, triangulation and serviceability. Works for what I want it to do.

Jobless and Jeepmauler have seen it work.

No.

S&N

I hear yah, I already have a little S + N fab under the hood. Nonetheless, even if I have Darius do the work and engineering, I like the idea of understating the principles behind why things work the way they do.

The real question hiding behind my original post is a query on real world experience vs. the accuracy and theory illustrated in the calculator. Newman there answered in the way I had hoped, comparing his calculations to his real world experience.

I hear yah, I already have a little S + N fab under the hood. Nonetheless, even if I have Darius do the work and engineering, I like the idea of understating the principles behind why things work the way they do.

The real question hiding behind my original post is a query on real world experience vs. the accuracy and theory illustrated in the calculator. Newman there answered in the way I had hoped, comparing his calculations to his real world experience.

Don't think for a second the rear suspension is what you want.....add seperation in the rear. 99% of people will hate it, but I did what suit's me best, it'll be a wheel hopper.

Don't think for a second the rear suspension is what you want.....add seperation in the rear. 99% of people will hate it, but I did what suit's me best, it'll be a wheel hopper.

I meant to ask you in person about this whenever we get around to meeting up next, but educate me a little on your preferences and reasoning behind the equal separation of the upper link mounts? I have read your entire build thread a few times, but I still did not get a good idea exactly. It sounds like this setup works well while going slow and creeping up the steep stuff. What was it that you were trying to avoid?

If you have more money than time and tools & skillz you pay to have it done for you :;

There are certain parameters that are known to have certain effects. Roll center, roll axis,antisquat.
I wanted to assure mine had good street manors. Its not a DD rig but I like to be able to drive to my hunting places, ect.
People dont always go wrong just building 4 link, but I wasnt affraid to take the time to lay it out on 2 diff calculators to see whats up.
I used 1.5 DOM sleeved w/ 1.75 tube on the lowers and 1.5 DOM on the uppers.
Weld on 2.5" JJs.

I built my suspension first and then they came up with calculator and yes, what it says it will do, it does. (rear roll steer)

works fine for me. great on the trail, a little squirly on the street. But, it is a trailered rig for the most parts. Coilovers tamed it a lot.

One day I will redo it, but not in a hurry as it never breaks, or wears out the rear suspension.

No.

S&N

Completely agree. The boys up north definately know a thing or two about suspension geometry.:;

I didnt use it, I got some advice from a buddy online and my rig works pretty well. I want to try something with more anti squat as im 76 front and 22 rear, Just to see what it feels like.

I didnt use it, I got some advice from a buddy online and my rig works pretty well. I want to try something with more anti squat as im 76 front and 22 rear, Just to see what it feels like.

Sound's to me like your buddy used a calc as you have number's to provide.