• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

diesel truck emissions vs diesel car emissions

tonedog702

I found Hardline a long time ago when I was researching Ford 6.0 diesels and what made them so bad. One of my google searches led me to this site because there was a guy on here that had a thread going. So I learned a lot about the EGR coolers and oil coolers clogging up, causing the head gasket trouble. Then I looked into the 6.4 Powerstrokes and learned about the DPF and the poor fuel economy that results from it.

So, all of that research has left a burning question: Since the emission equipment on diesel trucks seems to cause so many problems, are diesel cars equipped the same? And do the cars have these same problems? My dad has a Dodge 6.7 and he has about 85,000 miles and hasn't said anything about problems with it. And my coworker has a Volkswagen diesel and he raves about the 40 mpg he gets and is trouble free.

Similar stuff, smaller scale as far as the dpf/cat and crap. With that I'd like to have a VW TDI Jetta, but not after whatever warranty they have runs out.

xjtony said:
Similar stuff, smaller scale as far as the dpf/cat and crap. With that I'd like to have a VW TDI Jetta, but not after whatever warranty they have runs out.

I put a boat load of miles on my Passat TDI. I had zero trouble out of it, but also did recommended maintenance. Trucks vs cars is not a fair comparison.