• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel truck titles

dventoza

I went and looked at an 2003 dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 and it was a great truck but when I looked at the title something threw me off. Under the fuel type column of the title it stated "gasoline". We check the VIN and they matched with the title and truck. Is this normal with light duty diesel trucks? could it just be a typo for the license agency? What do your titles say? Im interested in the truck but this seems fishy to me.
Thanks for any input.

When my Dad bought his 2008 Super Duty, he paid cash for it and when he received the title for it, it had it listed as a gas engine. He contacted the DMV to get it changed. He does not have emissions testing where he lives, but I could see where this could be an issue where there is. The emissions testing for a diesel and gas are way different. :corn:

When I took my Mercedes 300SD in for titling I remember them originally keying in Gas. When I got the print out I told her it was wrong. She went back in, corrected it, and re-printed it.

Depending on the person working the desk, they should ask you if its gas or diesel, especially for a truck.

Also, usually the financing person does the paperwork for DOL, and he/she might not be so attentive. Either way a call to DOL can get them to fix and re-print it for you.

FWIW, when you go to DMV to correct an error on a title, that change is public records, and CARFAX & Autocheck will report it as a title issue. This can signal a redflag when you resell the vehicle, especially if you are trading it in, or have a educated buyer. After reviewing the CARFAX, it will be apparant what happened, and should have little effect upon the car's value. But it WILL show as a CARFAX "event".

You have no benefit to change the title.

Except that when you get the call from the guy who just bought said truck from you, and fills it up with GAS, because the title in his hand says so! And now it doesn't run! (idiot I know, and it was probably a 24V CTD ya sold him too!!!:haha:)...
:redneck:

Except that when you get the call from the guy who just bought said truck from you, and fills it up with GAS, because the title in his hand says so! And now it doesn't run! (idiot I know, and it was probably a 24V CTD ya sold him too!!!:haha:)...
:redneck:

Ummmm. Not.

I don't know of ANY idividual that grabs there title, just before they go to Chevron, just to make sure to put the correct fuel in.

The title doesn't have more influence than the stickers on the door, or the 'Diesel Fuel Only' on the fuel fill cap, inside fuel door. Or the simple fact, that 99.9999999% of the people understand that diesel is diesel, and gas is gas.

But of course, if you're that stooopid...

Im gonna pass on this truck there are just to many red flags when i carfaxed it. Like when the owner said that it has only had 1 owner but the carfax says it has had 4. Its just to risky in my mind espically with 230k miles

FWIW, when you go to DMV to correct an error on a title, that change is public records, and CARFAX & Autocheck will report it as a title issue. This can signal a redflag when you resell the vehicle, especially if you are trading it in, or have a educated buyer. After reviewing the CARFAX, it will be apparant what happened, and should have little effect upon the car's value. But it WILL show as a CARFAX "event".

Yup, Brad is right. However, it won't go against you if its being changed when you do a title transfer. If you're getting a new title (ie sold or transferred ownership) this would be the time to do it.

try explaining that to the guy at he emissions test station that wants your diesel truck to pass gasoline truck standards.

I would get it changed if it was me.
Would you want to bet the people at the emissions testing stations see this error a lot? I have never brought my title to an emissions station anyway.