• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Discover Pass infraction overturned

Tod

Once again, the court has upheld the position that a Discover Pass is not required on a vehicle with a valid ORV permit while at a location where ORV use is legal.

This time it was Snohomish County District Court in Monroe hearing a case where a DNR law enforcement officer incorrectly cited a dual registered van that was parked at the Reiter trailhead.

Off the record, the judge did comment that there was nothing in this ruling that would stop the DNR from illegally applying the law again in the future.

I recently bought a dual sport motorcycle and it crossed my mind this weekend, since it is plated and not ORV do I need a Discover Pass on it for state lands.

Supposedly it is for parking, but during usage it is inevitable that parking occurs throughout the time on the state land.

Just something that crossed my mine at Tahuya this past weekend.

The whole thing is a pile of horse ****--the state is so fawked up its not even funny.

I mean make a guy like me have to need 2 of them--stupid. They could make things so much easier if they simplified the orv tag process and that way we would be better suited for supporting our own sport...

I recently bought a dual sport motorcycle and it crossed my mind this weekend, since it is plated and not ORV do I need a Discover Pass on it for state lands.

Supposedly it is for parking, but during usage it is inevitable that parking occurs throughout the time on the state land.

Just something that crossed my mine at Tahuya this past weekend.

Yes

But not for driving on the roads, just for anything else on DNR managed public land.

Yes

But not for driving on the roads, just for anything else on DNR managed public land.

I have decided "they" can piss off. If I ever get a ticket for recreating or parking on DNR land on a plated motorcycle I will take the opportunity to let a judge know how ****ed this stupid **** is. I'm tired of paying taxes, then being taxed further to use the **** my taxes already pay for.

Take for instance going to Mowich Lake up past Evans Creek. Seriously, a ****ing federal pay station to drop $20 into so you can legally drive up a shitty dirt road and look at a lake. Luckily my military status gets me past it legally for "free", but holy **** $20 a pop to drive up to Mowich is just laughably stupid. I get there is more to do/access there, but most people are just going up to the lake for a few hours.

I realize I just discussed state and fed fees, but holy **** they are charging/taxing the hell out of people to access PUBLIC ****ing land.

I'm voting against every incumbent top to bottom this cycle. **** is out of control.

Last edited:
If everyone would stop purchasing their passes, they wouldn't have any revenue to afford to go out and collect revenue.

I get a atv/ohv permit from Oregon for my wheeler. Its good for two years and works in Washington.

One small problem with that approach.

If you are a resident of the State of Washington it can earn you up to one year in jail.
See RCW46.16A.030(6)(a)(i)

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.030

Yeah, not a smart plan. Also, it doesn't address the need for the Discovery Pass on plated vehicles like a tow rig or a MC trail riding that might get parked for lunch.

Another question - Do you guys with campers (in bed and trailers) have to have a Discover pass for that as well?

Lets say you go to Tahuya with a tow rig, in bed camper, trailer, and plated wheeler. Since you are camping and parking you will need a Discover Pass to cover each plated vehicle? Does that mean one person needs 2 passes to cover 4 plated vehicles?

Last edited:
Another question - Do you guys with campers (in bed and trailers) have to have a Discover pass for that as well?

A Discovery Pass is not required for truck mounted campers or towed trailers since they don't meet the criteria to be considered a motor vehicle per RCW79A.80.010(6) which references RCW46.04.320 which requires a vehicle to be self propelled to be considered a motor vehicle.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79A.80.010

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.04.320

The Disco pass should really be based on your drivers license since I'm the one paying to be there not my rig. (it shouldn't exist at all). As for my plated bike, ya gotta catch me and my local law enforcement come semi attached to the seats of their trucks. KTM>F150