• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Disk brake rear end into '99 Ram 2500

Avanteone

I think a couple of you guys have done this. I have a customer with a '99 Dodge diesel SRW truck, that wants to swap in a '00+ disk brake'd rear end. Currently has the D70, thinking if we're gonna swap, might as well go to D80. What else is required to do this swap? Obviously u-bolts and stuff... but proportioning valve, parking brake cables, etc?

Thanks

John

You will need to be looking for an 01.5 to 02 axle. They are the only ones that came with rear disc. I bought an 00+ front axle for the better brakes and slide off rotors (and ability to run the larger 3rd gen rotors). Having a tough time finding a Dana 80 disc though :booo:. I think the drivline may need to be shortened as well (going from 70 to 80)? Can't remember. Might want to look at axle width too. I was told they are wider, but haven't confirmed.

Last edited:
I swapped in a 2001 dually D80 in place of the 2000 drum brake version, that was pretty straight forward and I didn't do anything with the MC or valve for the brakes.

I hate the damn drums brakes on my D70. Sometimes I'm half tempted to pull the disc brake kit off my jeeps D70 and put it on my Dodge.

Anyone know what rotors they use in the D70 kits. Are they from an 02 Dodge with discs?? I might just build my own kit.