• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DIY's report on Artec Industries

P

If its free, its P
Hey fellars, I recently got into a project and started searching around for DIY trusses and brackets that lead me to Artec Industries. I searched like hell on PBB firstly and found very little real world feedback on thier products. I asked around a bit and called and spoke to Art as well and ended up ordering a few things. Here's a running thread on what I've recieved and am going to use...

http://www.midwestwheeler.com/index.php?topic=333.msg2634#new

Here's a quick "at first glance" copy paste as well. Hope it helps someone down the road. :dblthumb:

Obviously this company does Aviation business. Best packaging I have seen since I was doing Aviation parts ! laughing Heres a pic,
DSC01994.jpg

I didnt even start unwrapping the truss because in that wrap job there are 4 bracket/tab sets for the upper and lower links at the axle as well as a 12 pack of gussets I ordered. Notice the attention to detail in that they even used cardboard tubes on the ends of the truss to protect not only the edges but primarily keep the 70lbs of steel from going through the box ( Im sure Im not the only one on here that has ordered steel piece parts and recieved a mangled ass mess of a cardboard box with pieces missing and or hanging out of the sum bee.) banghead

Ok so now that I have sucked off the shipping department at Artec, I'll go ahead and shoot props to Kelly (blacksheep10) who is the Artec Distributor I ordered the parts through. I feel like this was the best method for me to go on this project to accomplish both a clean install, but also keep the timeline of this build moving along ! So again... thank you Kelly/blacksheep/Vertical Limits for getting the quote to me quickly, my questions answered fast and the parts here as soon as Artec was able to make them available ! drinkinbuddies

So moving right along. These are some engineered "dammit" pieces. Having ordered several times from Ballistic fab,, BTF etc dating back to when they first came on to the scene up to recently enough as the Chuggy build.. The technology of indexed tabs with small indents and holes is almost identical to Ball Fab and others, but the small attention to details like protection and accessiblity to zerks for regular maintenance on JJ's and other style joints really caught my eye. Hell, when I built my buggy I had both Johnny Joints and Ballistic 3.0s on it and NO ONE was building tabs designed to protect and function with this style of end ( rebuildable, durable, greasable... and basically superior to rodends IMO flipoffsmirk )
Here's a pic off Artec's site with details for those interested.
lower-frame-features-med.jpg

So on to what I got. If you refer to the first pic I posted you will see an intimidating pile of lazer perfect cut, CNC bent tabs and pieces that looks like a puzzle you'd never sort out. I set out preschooler style just sticking things together to see were they seemed to work and even not looking at the pictures of the multi-tabbed brackets off the Artec site it doesnt take alot of flipping and flopping pieces to sort out what goes were. I then pulled up the site and pffft, if your looking at the Artec pics on the site its nothing. My point = Simple stuff to work with.

Well for now thats all I got, its late and I worked a 13hr shift so Im going to relax and crash out. I'll continure tommorow with some mock up test fit pics and further detail on how well these pieces work real world on the TJ project you can find here.

http://www.midwestwheeler.com/index.php?topic=324.0

I can say that the guys at Artec are A+++, i ordered the HP60 truss , it took a little bit to receive it due to they having to actually make it upon ordering, but the enginering that went in it is grade A. And as you have mentioned, the packing,, WOW,, loller.gif , there were chunks of of square box padding (almost weighed as much as the truss alone) in every inch of the truss as if were a piece of fine China shipping across the mountains,, and then the seran-wrap the whole thing! scrazy packing, but the box was in superior condition upon arrival.

drich394 said:
I can say that the guys at Artec are A+++, i ordered the HP60 truss , it took a little bit to receive it due to they having to actually make it upon ordering, but the enginering that went in it is grade A. And as you have mentioned, the packing,, WOW,, loller.gif , there were chunks of of square box padding (almost weighed as much as the truss alone) in every inch of the truss as if were a piece of fine China shipping across the mountains,, and then the seran-wrap the whole thing! scrazy packing, but the box was in superior condition upon arrival.

I havent fit this stuff ( doing that today ) What was your experience with fit and finish ? Do you have any pics of yours installed ?

i searched around for a while to find something that looked half way not like ****. then i found artec, they had just started releasing product and i was sold on the looks and when i received the parts, the quality!

Re: Re: DIY's report on Artec Industries

Ive done the 8.8 truss it was easy and the fit was good I had to trim 2 tabs. I plan to weld Ryans up here in the next few weeks.

aefbf518-335c-5cd5.jpg
aefbf518-33f6-499b.jpg
aefbf518-341c-e16f.jpg

Really don't want to cut off what I spent a lot of time putting on my front axle but if I ever do it again I will definitely go this route :****:

Good looking fair priced product :dblthumb:

Wizzo, after hunting all over your pics were the best I had found and pretty much sold me on going this route. Here's what I checked out today. For the money Im really happy with this purchase ! I'll be using it on my own HP60 :woot:

HEREs More raw pics for the thread/

I just got back from checking it all out, the fit on everything except the top truss brackets is killer !! The truss needs VERY MINIMAL grinding to fit perfect. The lower link brackets are perfect as is, they are cut in a manner that bevels the edges so it falls right on the axle tubes. Something most tabs and brackets dont have. The upper link mounts for the top of the truss are nice, but they dont fit the truss flush and nice like whats pictured. Not a big deal there is plenty of meat there to work with. In fact if you werent triangulating to the center they'd probably work great. Here's some pics I took. So far very happy with the Artec products ! happy

Truss pieces and how it assemble's
DSC01996.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

DSC01997.jpg

I sat it on the Chevy D60 its intended for and since I had my HPD60 there flipped it around to see if it would work. Sure it would, but it would be a little offset to the drivers side and so forth so pony up the extra minimal cost and do the HP specific truss ( like I said, I only looked because it was sitting right there ) Truss fits very well, I feel like a little grinder work either to the passenger side cast in spring perch or to the two smaller pieces of the truss on that side will have that end flush to perfection. The drivers side only seem to need a slight bevel inside the outter cutout around the axle tube. Literally 10minutes tops with a grinder and everything will be super tight.
DSC02000.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

DSC01998.jpg

DSC02002.jpg

DSC02003.jpg

Now on to the axle tabs and top truss brackets. Pretty straight forward
DSC02006.jpg

DSC02007.jpg

Nice attention to detail on the beveled edges
DSC02008.jpg

Top mounts.. Id say in "as delivered" fitment they are apprx 9.5" tall to the bolt hole from center line of the axle.
DSC02005.jpg

DSC02004.jpg

Re: Re: DIY's report on Artec Industries

ranger11 said:
Ive done the 8.8 truss it was easy and the fit was good I had to trim 2 tabs. I plan to weld Ryans up here in the next few weeks.
Richard, whos 8.8 is that?,, and Sorry P, i dont have mine on yet, this weekend hopfully, ill post pics asap, but dude jsut posted some nice ones on a Pass drop. :afro: , although i didnt go wtih there link tabs, they looked good aswell.

Latest posts