• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge CAD

jeffs_62

I have a '98 Dodge 2500 diesel that has been giving me issues getting it to lock into 4WD. It has a vacuum actuated dis-connect, and I am pretty sure that that is the problem, but I have never messed with these things before, so I thought I would ask for a little insight before tearing into it.
I am not looking foward to laying in my snow covered driveway on a "learning" expedition, so the more info the better.

Probably that actuator on the axle its pretty straight forward if I remember right its 4 bolts holding it on and its going to dump a little bit of oil. Then you can disassemble it with snap ring pliers probably corrosion in it.

Most likely corrsion in there--not difficult to take apart and clean; just have a replacement gasket, or some cork material to make a gasket in case it tears taking the CAD off...You should be able to handle it Jeff! :redneck:

i would check and confirm you have vacuum going to it before you take it apart:awesomework: if you have a vacuum pump you can check the operation of the actuator before you take it apart.

i would check and confirm you have vacuum going to it before you take it apart:awesomework: if you have a vacuum pump you can check the operation of the actuator before you take it apart.

X2, my jeep has the same CAD bullshit... It wasn't the actuator causing the problem... Still haven't found what the problem is, could be a switch or something...

Yeah, I suppose that would be a good thing to check!:redneck: I only assumed that Jeff would have at least checked for that...

Mine is a 98 2500 12V and it didnt engage very fast or at all sometimes. It would also take along time to completely kick out of 4x4. When it would stick in 4x4 the 4wd light would flick on and off while rolling but not when stopped. eventually it would kick all the way out and the light would not flicker anymore.

Turned out someone had drove my truck over a dirt berm or pile long ago and bottomed out the crossmember and it scooped up a bunch of dirt and pushed the vacuum lines off of a steel splice tube mounted to the crossmember.

So I would first look at the tranny crossmsmber and find the little splice tube a rubber vacuum lines and double check them for tears and make sure they are plugged on still.

i have a 2000
the 4wd light never lights up. i can tell its engaged,but there is a constant click coming from the front when engaged and driving.. i changed out the u-joint on axle it was busted the noise was a lil quiter ,but its still there.

Yeah, I suppose that would be a good thing to check!:redneck: I only assumed that Jeff would have at least checked for that...

I did check, and there was vacuum. I didn't think to measure it though. I just assumed if it was there it must be enough. I'll have to check the rest of the system to make sure there are no leaks anywhere. I did have a bunch of snow and ice crammed up in the crossmember area, but the lines seemed to be in good shape. Bummer about it being diesel, I can't just start spraying ether and listen for the idle to change.