• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge Dakota Brake light issue

slednecks1124

I have a 2001 dodge dakota that I am trying to sell, I drive it every once in a while just so it doesnt sit for long periods of time but anyways my wife was following me and noticed the brake lights were not working.

So i checked all the fuses then checked the bulbs and they looked fine, I replaced the bulbs with new ones anyways. Still no brake lights. The running lights, blinkers, caution lights & brake lights are all ran off the same bulb & all of them work EXCEPT for the brake lights.

I talked to my buddy who is a mechanic, he said the brake light switch is common on the dakotas to go out so I picked one up & replaced it since it was only $11. Put the new switch in & adjusted it according to the directions. Still no damn brake lights.

Anyone have any idea what might be the issue?

I'll update that...

Turns out, not only was the brake switch faulty, but the flat trailer connector was corroded as well and was most likely not helping the situation. That's gone and the LED bar is now hardwired and I have a new brake switch as well. All seems well in the world.

(Thank you, Kevin, again)

Oh, and I put the OEM third brake light back in, and the bulb burned out, which was funny....

I have a 2001 dodge dakota that I am trying to sell, I drive it every once in a while just so it doesnt sit for long periods of time but anyways my wife was following me and noticed the brake lights were not working.

So i checked all the fuses then checked the bulbs and they looked fine, I replaced the bulbs with new ones anyways. Still no brake lights. The running lights, blinkers, caution lights & brake lights are all ran off the same bulb & all of them work EXCEPT for the brake lights.

I talked to my buddy who is a mechanic, he said the brake light switch is common on the dakotas to go out so I picked one up & replaced it since it was only $11. Put the new switch in & adjusted it according to the directions. Still no damn brake lights.

Anyone have any idea what might be the issue?

Did you mean fuse??? No they aren't run off the same fuse...

Sorry I am at work so I dont have much time at break to search around much. I have looked over that thread and will take some given advice to help track down the problem. Gonna borrow DMM from work to check voltage.

Any good place to get free electrical diagrams?

Did you mean fuse??? No they aren't run off the same fuse...

No they all use the same bulb. There is only three bulbs in the rear, one is for the rear back up light & the other is for brake lights, turn signals, caution lights & running lights & then the last is for the 3rd light which is up above rear window.

Last edited:
No they all use the same bulb. There is only three bulbs in the rear, one is for the rear back up light & the other is for brake lights, turn signals, caution lights & running lights & then the last is for the 3rd light which is up above rear window.

Oh, I misunderstood what you typed, you were talking about the lights at the back...yes they are 'old skool' as it were....:awesomework: If you have a trailer plug back there...and it's a 'plug-n-play' setup, make sure that it didn't come unplugged under the back of the bed....:awesomework:

Oh, I misunderstood what you typed, you were talking about the lights at the back...yes they are 'old skool' as it were....:awesomework: If you have a trailer plug back there...and it's a 'plug-n-play' setup, make sure that it didn't come unplugged under the back of the bed....:awesomework:

My truck is equipped with the tow package and does have a trailer plug on the back bumper but how would that affect it? Does that plug essentially complete the circuit for the brake lights?

Some trucks have an in-line plug and play trailer adapter...yours may not...just something to check... Have you tested for power to and signal out of the brake switch??? ( I know you replaced it, but wouldn't be the first time I've seen a bad switch out of the box!) ...

Some trucks have an in-line plug and play trailer adapter...yours may not...just something to check... Have you tested for power to and signal out of the brake switch??? ( I know you replaced it, but wouldn't be the first time I've seen a bad switch out of the box!) ...

I checked out the wiring out back for the trailer plug, everything was still connected and looked as it should. I briefly tried to test for power going into the brake light switch, I did not get any power but I think it was because the volt meter I borrowed has big leads so i dont think it was making contact with the pin inside the plug. I used to have a really nice test light but I dont know what happened to the damn thing, I am prob going to buy a new one tomorrow.

So I checked to see if I was getting power coming into the brake light switch & did not get anything! :mad:

Checked all the fuses in the engine bay and in the panel on the inside of the drivers door, all fuses were getting power to both sides of the fuse.

I am going to get an electrical diagram tomorrow from my buddy whos a mechanic so hopefully I can track down the source