• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Double ended ram volume vs orbital ci

Fire Freak

I know it has been discussed before but I can't find the thread. How do you figure volume of a double ended cylinder, and such orbital do I need for it? My ram is 2 inch with 1.25 shaft with 8 inches of travel.

Re:

Volume of cylinder minus volume of rod will give you full stroke displacement. Then you can figure how many turns lock to lock you want.

If you have Excel, send me an email and I'll send you a spread sheet that lets you easily compare different sizes of cylinders and orbitals

Also, just a heads up, a 2" ram with 1.25" rod will not be very powerful.

Surplus center ram?

Re: Re: Double ended ram volume vs orbital ci

Fire Freak said:
Yes but what is the formula for figuring volume vs orbital ci
Just divide the ram volume by orbital displacement to get your number of turns lock to lock

You'll probably want a 9.6 cu-in

I ran a surplus center 2" de cylinder to turn 38's on the buggy was not happy with it's power. Stock pump. Ended up bending the rod and upgrading to the 2.5" version= much better power.
The 2.5" surplus center cylinder and 7.3 cu displacement orbital = 3 turns lock to lock.

I found two orbitals I can't find any info on. One is a char lynn 241-1098-002 the other is a char Lynn but the tag only has UV-TJ-D 3252- on it any help?

I tried running a 2" ram on my jeep with 42's. It was horrible. Bought a 2 1/2 and couldn't be happier. Surplus ram, stock pump. Turns 43's with ease.. I think the 2" would be more suited for a Cherokee or something light weight.