• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drill bit set?

patooyee

I think there has been a thread about this in the past but I can't find it now. I need a new, complete set of drill bits to use in my drill press. I want some decent ones, ones that will last. One thing I hate about most of them is that you pay a ****-ton of money and the first 20 sizes are fricking minuscule, like jewelers drills, and I never use them. I don't know why anyone other than a jeweler would need such small bits in such small increments. Its like 1/64, 3/64, 5/64 ....

Wrong forum :****:

I am interested in a new set as well. My Erwin bits do alright as long as I use pipe thread cutting oil and keep the speed low on the drill press. They don't last to long though.

Your probably looking for some a bit more quality but I bought a set of the dewalt start on contact bits a while back. I use them in my drill press, hand drill everything and they still cut really good. Other than breaking them they have lasted longer than other ones I've used and Im pretty rough on them.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

I use harbor freight unibits a LOT... great for shallow drilling in tabs ect and they last great if you use a little lube and common sense and all the common sizes are right there.. if i need to drill a deep hole i have a random plethora of bits i've collected through the years at yard sales and buying specific drills for tapping holes ect...

Re: Re: Drill bit set?

Jcampbell54 said:
Your probably looking for some a bit more quality but I bought a set of the dewalt start on contact bits a while back. I use them in my drill press, hand drill everything and they still cut really good. Other than breaking them they have lasted longer than other ones I've used and Im pretty rough on them.

I have some of those and they are my favorite ever but my only gripe is that they do not self center when enlarging an existing hole. When drilling a new hole they cut like butter and they do last if taken care of.

i bought some drill hog bits off ebay and they work great. The good thing is if ya break one or it gets dull the snap on truck will replace it free or at least mine snap on guy will

Re:

I've heard nothing but good about drill hog. Never that snap on will swap them though. Maybe it's time to give them a try.

patooyee said:
I have some of those and they are my favorite ever but my only gripe is that they do not self center when enlarging an existing hole. When drilling a new hole they cut like butter and they do last if taken care of.

That's usually when I break them trying to step up a hole.

Re:

patooyee said:
I've heard nothing but good about drill hog. Never that snap on will swap them though. Maybe it's time to give them a try.

i haven't took any to the snap on truck myself since it doesnt stop at my shop. I take them to a buddy shop that it stops at weekly and when i go back he has new bits for me :dunno:

Drill Dr's suck especially on small bits, they leave the Web to thick. Not enough clearence on the trailing side of the cutting edge. Learn how to use a pedestal grinder, night and day difference.

JJ, call or google MSC they are machine tool supply company. Look up their drill bit sets and get an American Made set. You will be happy and you can thank me later.

There is a set on sale at Fastenall. For $125 goes up to 1/2. I would think they would guarantee them.

Re: Re: Re: Drill bit set?

kmcminn said:
Drill Dr's suck especially on small bits, they leave the Web to thick. Not enough clearence on the trailing side of the cutting edge. Learn how to use a pedestal grinder, night and day difference.

JJ, call or google MSC they are machine tool supply company. Look up their drill bit sets and get an American Made set. You will be happy and you can thank me later.
I agree 100%, American made Cobalt, no high speed steel wood bits.

smurfy90 said:
I have a set and they work great.
Norseman drill bits? I'm pretty sure that's how you spell them. I have. Set of these and they are great. They have lasted me several years. I am about to the point of needing to buy another set.

Sent from a undisclosed thinkin spot...

Consolidated toledo drill are absolutely amazing. Had my first set for five years never had to sharpen them. The finally started breaking so I bought another and the quality was just as good.

Latest posts