• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

driveline vibes?

preacherman

Ok I had a bad vibe in my tj, has an SYE and all; well, I replaced a blown out trans mount, and filled my leaking transmission. Still there, so I dropped out my rear driveline, threw it in 4x4 and no vibe.
Long story short who does drivelines near Oak Harbor/ Anacortes?

Are the U-joints just toast?

You could repair that yourself with a good bench vise and some time.

Other than that, Drivelines NW has always treated me right.

dual cardan im guessing??

Rebuild it new U-joints and that pesky center yoke bearing....

If you have always had vibes, then time to check angle!!

You have to pull the double cardan joint apart to get at the center yoke bearing. There is a small spring in there that if it doesn't receive lubricant over time it will self destruct. If that is the culprit, get one that is serviceable. The serviceable units have a small grease zerk on them.

You could also check the final drive u-joint. (The one at the axle). And quite possibly on the TJ's the control arm bushings went tits up and are not positioning your axle properly.

Well the Control Arms bushings are pretty bad, but I don't think that they are putting any bind on the U-joints.

Besides I have had that all apart, the u-joints look fine. However I have not been greasing that center yoke bearing, and I know that the boot on it is torn. I just have never torn that part of a CV Shaft apart.

The other little thought that I have in the matter is that I thought that I remembered a weight welded on the lower shaft, but it isn't there. Could be that I am remembering wrong, but. . ?

If the weight is missing that could also be causing the vibes.

You could try replacing the center bearing and see if that takes care of your problems. I never run the rubber boots on my drive shafts. I just pull them apart every 6 months or so and clean out the yoke and clean off the splines. You can get a fancier seal that replaces that rubber boot that is greaseable, but I tend to mangle them on rocks. They are superior to the rubber boots though.

If the center bearing takes care of your problems hooray. If not you could try taking it to a driveline shop and having them re-balance it. Be wary though, if they try to rebuild the whole thing, that is something you could do and just get them to re balance it.

Last time I went to a driveline shop they wanted to sell me a brand new drivleine for $350. I just bought the parts for about $125 and had I guy I know with a lathe balance and weld it for me.

Generally on thesen really short drive lines balancing is not always needed. Won't hurt but most of the time it is unneeded. Take it to s driveline shop to rebuild the yoke.....trust me. Unless of course your up for the challenge.:awesomework:

ARRRR! took it to a driveline shop nothing wrong with the drive line. Back to the drawing board.

I have the driveline out no vibes, in 4wd? In the diff?, in the rear output of the t-case?:eeek:

I don't know!?!

Getting a little frazzled

Time to crawl under there and check everything....trans/t-case mount, output shaft, axle yoke, bushings.... ect. ect. Something is loose or throwing the driveline out of whack. Time to find what it is. :awesomework:

That is what I have been doing for better than a week! This is my DD/ toy.

So far I have replaced the trans mount, refreshed the tranny fluid, checked t-case fluid and ordered bushings for my CAs.

I figure tomorrow I will pull my T-case, and open the rear diff.

What about the axle yoke?

Is bent? broken? ect. vibes are a coming from somewhere....

I know how frustrating this stuff can be.... keep your chin up.

If the control arm bushings are bad, my guess is that under load, your axle is rotating and putting your driveline at a unfavorable angle. My $0.02.:awesomework:

Your jeep should have come from the factory like this.

2joint_angle.gif

After the double cardan shaft, it should now look like this.

cv_angle.gif

Hahaha thanks Choppy I will try that tomorrow :)

Well, . . . maybe I will.

This will still cost me less than the toy or the tube buggy, I have owned.