• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

duals w/ 4.7 with 4.10s, 38's how is it workin

ToyRochon

I got an 1980 I am building. Its got 20r going to have a w-56 5spd, either 38x12.50r15 or 38.5x15.50r15s, header, 2inch exhaust, bodded bed, removed most of the **** not needed. -What I am wondering is who is running 4.10 and dual case with 4.7 and how has it worked for you. I am looking to do that and keep the 4.10 gears. I am trying to build on budget. Let me know thanks David

ive heard youre likely to blow outputs with that combo. though i suppose you have a 20r... which may prevent that a bit considering the lower power output. just my 2 cents. you're probably ok, though.:awesomework:

yeah the 4.7:1 kit is like 400 bucks and you can buy just 5.29 gearsets for 150bucks per third you are better off doing dual cases and 5.29s my 2 cents

duals w/7 with 4.10s, 38 how is workin

I talked to a few guys that are running the that setup and arn't having no problems. What you all think of 4.88s instead of 5.29s. Wanting to keep the thicker gears and stay really cheap. Its cheaper to buy the doulber and 4.7 than to buy gears and get them installed. I was planning on running welded diffs for now. Only to keep the cost down for now until I can buy lockers. I am on a tight budget.

I talked to a few guys that are running the that setup and arn't having no problems. What you all think of 4.88s instead of 5.29s. Wanting to keep the thicker gears and stay really cheap. Its cheaper to buy the doulber and 4.7 than to buy gears and get them installed. I was planning on running welded diffs for now. Only to keep the cost down for now until I can buy lockers. I am on a tight budget.

You should beable to install teh marlin and 3rds yourself... :eeek:

5.29s, dual cases, or geard down case... hell you can even go to 3 cases with the rear case geared down :redneck:

cases.jpg

The dual case adapter is less than 4.7s but not after you redo the d-lines and a new crossmember. With the 4.7s put um in and your done.

I was going to doubler, 4.7 in the sec case, 4.10s in the diff and try and run 38's. So you all say run a doubler and at least 4.88s in the diffs. Like I said I made the ultimate saccurfice and sold my old truck for my wedding and to take care of my wife and daughter and for my son that is on the way. So trying to stay cheap. So I want to have a capable rig again, but on the cheap. So what you all think of that. So I should run a doubler and go 4.88s in the diffs. Was going just welded diffs for now and add on later. So any help be nice. I am a marine corp recruiter now. So any insight is good and help. Thanks and keep the dream alive. :beer: :awesomework:

I have a gear guy that sets up all of mine for 100 bucks a third ...I can pass this deal on if you like??

I was going to doubler, 4.7 in the sec case, 4.10s in the diff and try and run 38's. So you all say run a doubler and at least 4.88s in the diffs. Like I said I made the ultimate saccurfice and sold my old truck for my wedding and to take care of my wife and daughter and for my son that is on the way. So trying to stay cheap. So I want to have a capable rig again, but on the cheap. So what you all think of that. So I should run a doubler and go 4.88s in the diffs. Was going just welded diffs for now and add on later. So any help be nice. I am a marine corp recruiter now. So any insight is good and help. Thanks and keep the dream alive. :beer: :awesomework:

if you wanted to run stock automatic gears and sacrafice a little tire size that would also work....me buddy ran 36s with 4.37s and dual cases and it worked pretty good could even drive down the road at highway speeds

:awesomework: I beleive my has 4.37s, I am hoping to fin out tomorrow. If thats the case I ll mabe just run a doulber. I was going to run 4.7s in the second case if thats the case to get more choices and control. $409.00 for gears, install kit and them $100 each to set up. $349.00 for tcase gears. And just run my welded diffs. I have to do drivelines. I ll just have my ifs front drivelin lengthen and the rear shorten. I can do the cases myself and save me the cash to do others. Or what you do you all think? :booo:

-thats what it sounds like. But maybe I should look at just look into doing 4.7 in the tcase and gears in the diffs. Or gears in the diffs and doubler and stay 2.28 in both tcases. what you all think of that?

are you planning on driving it on the street because if not I would start with 4.37s and a doubler with a 4.7 for just trail... if you want it for street doubler and 5.29s but all in all you are looking at lower cost and lower crawl ratio if you leave the stock gears and just double it up with a 4.7 ......my 2 cents

- its going to be a trail rig only. I was thinking going doubler, 4.7 in the rear case and run 4.37s. Even with the doubler, 4.7s, crossmember and drivelines its seems to be cheaper. I found a doubler kit, crossmeber on ebay at $501.00. Tcase gears $349.00 and drivelines. Or does it sound cheap doubler 2.28 in both cases and 4.88s or 5.29's in the diffs. This isnt my first build,but looking for insight and oppoins. Thanks all. David. I am looking for the good and the bad. Before I go and waste my money and time. :beer: :mad:

I notice you talk about your budget quite a bit, why not start out with the 4.7 gears and step down to some 36s, with your 4.37 gears you should be more than low enough and you will still be very capable. That would save you 500-750 dollars and you could upgrade later for no extra cost. 4.37s are not low enoguh to save that output with 38s in my opinion and they are a $250 item.

- what you guys think of just doing the doubler, 4.88s and still go 38's. Or go 36's. The cost between 36's to 38's is not much in the tls tires. Which are what I am looking to run.

Latest posts