• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Duramax as a daily driver?

mad chemist

Hi guys,

I'm putting on my big boy pants and am thinking about buying my first diesel. I've got a '08 Tundra (I know, I know...) that does just fine towing my trailer w/ fj40, but has a shitty payload capacity that won't allow me to both trailer and have a camper in the bed. So, I'm looking at Dmax's. The question is, for my 30-45 minute commute back and for to work, should I just pick up a beater and keep the diesel for the weekends, or will this pickup be fine for DD as well as toy hauling duty?

Thanks,

David

They work great as a Daily driver. Stock they have decent mileage, if you add something like EFI live, it gets the best mileage out of the big 3 (mid 20's no problem). It's better for them to have a little longer commute. Diesels that never get fully warmed up, or letting them sit for long periods of time isn't good for them anyways. It won't be quite as "cush" as your Tundra, but you won't regret the switch.

Last edited:
During the colder months, do they need to be warmed up much before hand? I live within 5 minutes of the freeway, so they'd be hitting 60 mph relatively quickly.

During the colder months, do they need to be warmed up much before hand? I live within 5 minutes of the freeway, so they'd be hitting 60 mph relatively quickly.

Most our customers(and we see allot of duraturds) treat them like a gasser and they retain there longevity.

Duraturds? Are you suggesting there's a better diesel I should look at? :eeek:

Cummaparts, Durajunks, Powerchokes... They've all got nicknames :redneck:

Start em up, let the oil pressure come up, and drive em easy until water comes up to a reasonable temp. I know many people don't do that like Mike stated, but it's a good habit.

Diesels have an engine block heater, so just plug it in at night and it'll be warm in the morning, just remember to unplug it before you drive off :mad:
and like Jeff said, they have the best mileage of any of the diesel pickups.

Maybe modified they have good mileage but stock is just average. My 2006 duramax averages 15, my 2000 cummins averaged 19.

Maybe modified they have good mileage but stock is just average. My 2006 duramax averages 15, my 2000 cummins averaged 19.

Sorry, I just assumed everyone modified their diesels :redneck:

The duramax is able to get mileage in the 23-26 range while the powerstroke and cummins will be in the upper teens, my 6.7 was averaging around 18 on the highway and 12 in town when it was finally broken in.

Porter gets 24.5 with his cummins using the SMARTY. My Dad gets 21.5 with his quad cab dually using the SMARTY. It is definitely the way to go when running the Cummins. But with EFI live you can change any parameter you want. Or you can use someone elses tunes that has been playing with these things for a while, and get even better mileage. It's not unheard of to get into the 30's with the duramax. Dmitri has hit 1700+ rwhp on the dyno and can change his EFI live tunes and get mid 30 mpg using nitrous to assist in climbing small hills.. His normal, even with very large injectors is in the low to mid 20's on just diesel. Of course, this is all dependent on your right foot :D

I daily drive my '99 F350 Dually Diesel. On cooler mornings I let it run for a few before heading out. The neighbors love me. :redneck:

I'm averaging 18.7 for fuel mileage. I only have a few mods (intake, exhaust, tuning). Daily driving a dually is like driving a fat ass sports car. :redneck:

I've been DD my powerstroke for about a year and a half and am getting really tired of spending almost $500 a month in fuel..and racking up 25k miles a year..Currently looking for a commuter car.....

I have daily driven my 04 HD 2500 Duramax for the past five years and LOVE IT; we drive it anywhere from 5-60 mins for a commute. It gets between 20-22 MPG, with NO mods other than an intake. It rides better than the wife's Trailblazer, has VERY nice creature comforts with heated leather seats, and has boatloads of power. We're actually considering selling the Trailblazer and downsizing to one rig since all we drive is the Duramax.

PROBLEMS in 6 years of ownership:

1) Injectors went out once, but that was covered by the recall
2) The fuel filters get plugged easily if you get a bad load of fuel...so I change them out (MYSELF) every 3rd oil change. (The dealership will charge you a first born to change that thing out, and it's a very easy replacement once you do it a few times).

Last edited:
I DD my 03 Dirtymax.

I average about 17 with my PPE tuner at level 2. When I'm being nice to the truck trying to get the best MPG's possible I try to drive it without making the boost gauge move. Yes this makes me look like an old man but I don't care. I get a solid 20 driving like an old man.

When I am on the highway it gets 20 to 22 at 60 MPH, anything faster and the MPG go down severely. Such as averaging 65 ~ 70 I get around 17MPG.

My best tank ever was driving through South Dakota downhill with the wind at my back. Cruising at 60 I got 25MPG on a tank. :awesomework:

Towing with it I average about 13. That's towing just my jeep and trailer (About 6000lbs)

DD my SRW 2500 for the last 3 years. I get 13-ish around town, and drive like an asshole. I never drive very far on the freeway not towing, so i couldn't tell you freeway mileage. Towing I'm 13ish with open trailer and Jeep, and 9-10 with 25' enclosed and Jeep. JUST ditched the Edge and went with and EFILive programmed PCM, it should help with mileage a bit.

DD my SRW 2500 for the last 3 years. I get 13-ish around town, and drive like an asshole. I never drive very far on the freeway not towing, so i couldn't tell you freeway mileage. Towing I'm 13ish with open trailer and Jeep, and 9-10 with 25' enclosed and Jeep. JUST ditched the Edge and went with and EFILive programmed PCM, it should help with mileage a bit.

Oh yeah, when I'm making in town runs with the tuner on Level 5. It's around 10 to 12. Driving like a pissed off teenager the whole time. :awesomework:

Latest posts