• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Easiest FI for a SBC?

64FJ40

This isn't even in the works at this point, but eventually there will be a SBC under the hood of the cruiser. I'm not opposed to a SBF, but at this point I've already got an SM420 mated to the tcase and I don't really have any plans to change that stuff much. I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the old F motor and the limitations it presents (adapting EFI, mounting a PS pump, power limits, etc).

I'm basically going to be starting from scratch as far as motor and electronics go, so what would you do?

Get/build a carb'd 350 and adapt it (Pro-Jection, TBI, others?)

Get a roller/Vortec motor and the computers/sensors to run it stand-alone?

Another option?

As much as I'd love to just buy a RamJet, that's probably out of the realm of budgetary reality. :booo:

Well, that would get rid of the stinky gas tank under the passenger seat...

I'm a propane newb... Assuming I had a motor ready to go, how much $$ to get up and running?

You can piece parts together from ebay for prolly a few hundred.

Go to www.propaneguy.com (a lot of local guys swear by him) for about $400 for an average build.

www.gotpropane.com will run ya about $800 but Cary definitely sells quality stuff that includes every last hose and clamp you'd need.

Figure $90 a piece for used aluminum tanks.

Regardless, it gives you fuel injection benefits, needs one wire to run the solenoid, and simply replaces a carb. And you don't have to worry about thieves syphoning your gas :haha:

I gots all the wiring and intake and mumbo jumbo for a TBI setup, even a fuel pump and lines for a fuel cell:awesomework: If you ever want to just come and even look at it and see if it's a project you'd wanna take on you are more than welcome to stop by, just PM me if you want, I can kinda walk you through what i know of the system. But for being a wiring idiot it's not too bad, my dad wired the gauge cluster for me (setup for a Chevy LUV)

Propane is the most simple fuel delivery system. The only modification is to re-curve you distributor.

For injection, just save yourself the headache and go small block FORD

For a Chevy setup, just run propane... TBI brings the suck

Ok, so 4 votes for LP, 3 for TBI, and 1 person that wants to loan me $5K for a GMPP motor. You guys are a ton of help :fawkdancesmiley:

For injection, just save yourself the headache and go small block FORD

I'll bite and ask - why Ford? Is there a superior stand-alone setup?

It would have to be dead-nuts easy and nearly free to justify dumping/replacing the tranny and t-case I've already sunk a bunch of money into. Frankly I wouldn't mind a smaller block and a distributor location that doesn't require taking a BFH to my firewall, but the transmission options just don't work for me without changing a bunch of other stuff that I'm not planning to do yet.

I'll bite and ask - why Ford? Is there a superior stand-alone setup?

It would have to be dead-nuts easy and nearly free to justify dumping/replacing the tranny and t-case I've already sunk a bunch of money into. Frankly I wouldn't mind a smaller block and a distributor location that doesn't require taking a BFH to my firewall, but the transmission options just don't work for me without changing a bunch of other stuff that I'm not planning to do yet.

The Ford MAF injection and computer is just more user friendly for mods than a Chevy setup. Take a TBI motor, change the cam, and it wont run right w/o a custom chip, etc... and every time you change something on the engine, you need a new chip to make it run right. With a Ford MAF, you can pretty much do what you want and the computer will adjust. After alot of mods, you may upgrade to larger injectors and a larger MAF and STILL run the stock computer. RJM makes beautiful, dirt simple harness for the 88-93 MAF engines, and they are a roller motor to boot! Not to mention that they are shorter, lighter, skinnier, and have the distributor in the front :awesomework:

Chevy engines are good and parts are plentiful, and the TBI setup is simple... but if you start messing with anything they are a bitch to get to run right or make HP.

I went with Tune port Chevy fairley easy to work with now that i know more about it. Has better response than TBI and you can get way more power out of it. I thought of and have a MAF ford 302 but it is a little over 2" taller than my TPI chevy. It all depends on what you have access to i feel if you have access to TBI they work great and parts are readily available.

The Ford MAF injection and computer is just more user friendly for mods than a Chevy setup. Take a TBI motor, change the cam, and it wont run right w/o a custom chip, etc... and every time you change something on the engine, you need a new chip to make it run right. With a Ford MAF, you can pretty much do what you want and the computer will adjust. After alot of mods, you may upgrade to larger injectors and a larger MAF and STILL run the stock computer. RJM makes beautiful, dirt simple harness for the 88-93 MAF engines, and they are a roller motor to boot! Not to mention that they are shorter, lighter, skinnier, and have the distributor in the front :awesomework:

Chevy engines are good and parts are plentiful, and the TBI setup is simple... but if you start messing with anything they are a bitch to get to run right or make HP.

I don't agree with most of this. It's true that MAF systems will tolerate a bit more modification but not much. The Ford systems Maf or SD are fine but there's much less aftermarket for them and the system details aren't as accessable to the end users. The GM stuff has been done and disected so much that there is just much more inforation available for it.
Besides that mass air flow sensors are just :rb: but not as :rb: as propane.:flipoff: