• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Easter Jeep Safari questions

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
1. Do your jeeps have to be street legal?

2. How cold does it get there at night?

3. How long is the drive from Tacoma area??

I'm thinking about going this year. I have to start planning now.

YES when its on the street. I trailered to the trail
It snowed a couple of the nights we were there
Took 17 hours with 3 drivers

I used to figure that it was 1050 miles from Sammamish. Driving alone, I usually stopped in Mt. Home, Idaho as I had a buddy there and then the second day into Moab.

Most of the year they are pretty lax about the driving rules but they tighten things up during Jeep Safari. Most of the year you will see ATVs without plates on the street.

Depending on the trail, driving to the trail head may not be an option. Many of the trails do not exit where they enter. For example, Golden Spike. Some others do end the same place they start, such as Poison Spider Mesa. There is limited parking space at the trail head for PSM. Other trails have lots of parking but end far away, such as Metal Masher.

I have never been hassled about the small stuff for street legal, such as tire coverage, etc., as long as the rig is plated in the state in which it is licensed.

A word of caution - the local cops are death on "exhibitions of speed".

3. How long is the drive from Tacoma area??

I'm thinking about going this year. I have to start planning now.

1) Yes to street legal, but so long as it's not a buggy, has mud flaps and mufflers, you should be ok.
2) Been there during EJS and it's 80. Been there and it's snowing.
3) It's a long, ass'd 21 hour drive straight thru.. Done it many times, both directions.
4) Off roading, make absolutely sure to stay on the trails. There's a pre-historic crust on the dirt, which is made by a micro-organism. This crust takes decades or centuries to form.
5) I'm going there towards the end of May.
6) I have lots of maps you can use, when I get back
7) It's fun.
8) My favorite trail isn't on the maps. Go figure.

It has been a few years :eeek: but it was fairly lax as long as you make an attempt at it and drive accordingly.

Like others have stated snow and freezing to sunny and hot

Street legal? Ish. The week of EJS you'll see full tube buggy's, UTV's, U4 cars, etc. driving on the street. Do you have a license plate? Don't drive like an ass and you'll be fine. You know Horus's ZJ buggy, he was all over town every day in it with no questions asked.

Weather? As stated, can vary widely. It's later in the spring this year but can still be chilly in the mornings. Last year was similar timing, we had a dusting of snow one morning but 65* by the afternoon. I think I did everyday in shorts, shirt and hoodie.

We'll generally make it to to Salt Lake City or Provo in one good 13-14 hour stretch, get a hotel, and drive the last 5-6 hours to Moab in the morning to get there early in the day, set up in our condo, grocery shopping, and ready to go.

The key to EJS is knowing where/when the official "RR4W" runs are so you can avoid them. If they're running Moab Rim and Hells Revenge, we go to Pritchett. If they're running Pritchett and Kane Creek, we run Hells Revenge, etc. Their permit grants them exclusive rights to the trails whichever day they are running each particular trail. It's easy enough to figure out though, the schedule is published.

We're staying in Rim Village condos this year. See 'ya there!

I have been to Moab 6 times.but not during END. A friend goes with a group every year, they get there on Wed or Thu and check out all the festivities then wheel the week after.

Going during EJS is a blast. However, remember if you're not part of the actual event, you may be locked off certain trails at certain times. You will probably still end up waiting a bunch on the popular trails, as there's still a metric **** ton of people not officially part of the event. Thurs and Friday are good to wheel, as the industry people are all at the show in the arena. If you eat in restarants or bars, the waits can get tedious.

I've been there in 85 degree weather, and had it snow by the end of the week. I have tented it 3 times though.

I drive from Everett, and if I'm lollygagging alongong, I'll spend the night in Boise or Burley, ID. I've pulled it all the way through before in 22 hours (not towing).