• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

edelbrock fuel injection

bigiron

Stuck in the Swamp
Pros and cons Would like to here both? System I am leaning toward is complete Tbi style With 1000cfm throttle body and all hardware needs laptop for initial flash Then programable with handheld tuner. Is it worth the money or would propane be a better route? I have finally reached the limits of my holley truck avenger. Discuss::corn:

i have the commander 950 TBI,only way to tune mine is with a laptop.. install was pretty easy,initial fire up went well,then the tuning began.it was definately a learning curve for me.took me a couple months of 2-5 days a week a couple hours a day to get it to run better than my q-jet..it makes more power than the carb and uses less fuel,and runs upside down:redneck:

I used the TBI conversion MPFI Edelbrock kit. Bolted it up, worked from that second on. Lots of power, smooth throughout the range, but not as tuneable or flexible for a built motor.

It's also cheaper provided you have a TBI chevy sitting around.

I'd say a big "con" is that it's over $3000. :eeek:

I don't have any personal experience with the Edelbrock systems but it looks like a good setup if you want something that you can bolt on and run. It'll still take some tweaking and tuning to get just right though, just like any other system. For that kind of cash, Edelbrock better have some really good tech support to go along with it.

F.A.S.T. (www.fastefi.com) has a BB Mopar system. No idea on the cost, though.

Also, check into some of the Howell stuff (www.howellefi.com). I think all of their systems are completely based on the GM systems, even the ECM. Tuning and tech support probably isn't as easy but you'll spend half the money.

If you want to do some tinkering and build up your own kind of thing, check out the Megasquirt fuel controllers (www.diyautotune.com). For the hard parts, the cheapest and easiest setup would be a BBC throttle body bolted in place of your current carb. Or, you could build some fuel rails and make a multi-port setup. Look at www.msdfuelinjection.com for some of the bits and pieces. You're pretty much on your own for tuning, wiring, and tech support though.

The megasquirt is good stuff. I have the EBL system and would recommend it to you as well. Basically it's a aftermarket computer for GM TBI. Only slight draw back is you will have to do your homework for the distributor.
http://www.dynamicefi.com/
You could also just use a factory GM TBI system but it will take some tuning..

Not sure what binder runs he knows his **** about aftermarket FI.He wheels with his laptop plugged into his motor............kinda freaky:eeek:

WHOA!!! we posted at the same time!!

It is close to 3200 I am wondering how tunable it is and how troublesome to tune....Would it need a dyno run for best tune? I am building a new motor and shooting for 550 hp on pump gas. I just do not want to waste a big pile of green on somthing that will be a pain in my ass.

Last edited:
run down of kit
Brand: Edelbrock
Product Line: Edelbrock Performer RPM Pro-Flo2 EFI Systems
Part Type: Fuel Injection Systems
Part Number: EDL-35080
EGR: No
Injection Style: Sequential multi-port
Metering Style: Speed density (Map-N) and speed throttle (Alpha-N)
Intake Manifold Included: Yes
Intake Section Included: Complete
Intake Material: Aluminum
Intake Finish: Natural
Engine Block Style: Stock/OEM standard deck
Fuel Rails Included: Yes
Throttle Body Included: Yes
Throttle Body Mounting Flange: 4-barrel square bore
Venturi Quantity: 4
Airflow Rate (cfm): 1,000 cfm
Throttle Body Material: Cast aluminum
Throttle Body Finish: Natural
Injectors Included: Yes
Injector Size (lbs/hr): 35 lbs./hr.
Calibration Module Included: Yes
ECM Included: Yes
Wiring Harness Included: Yes
Oxygen Sensor Included: Yes
Fuel Pump Included: Yes
Fuel Pressure Regulator Included: Yes
Distributor Included: Yes
MAP Sensor Included: Yes
IAT Sensor Included: Yes
TPS Sensor Included: Yes
IAC Motor Included: Yes
Quantity: Sold as a kit.
Notes: A laptop or PC is required for initial flash set-up. A CD and USB hook-up are included.

Multi-Port Fuel Injection, Performer RPM, Pro-Flo2, Speed Density/Throttle, 1,000 cfm, Mopar, Big Block, Kit

Check to make sure this part fits your application Pro-Flo2 fuel injection from Edelbrock.
These Edelbrock Pro-Flo2 (Pro-Flo second generation) systems are complete fully-sequential EFI systems with all-new, powerful electronics packages that include everything you need to convert a carbureted engine to a modern fuel injection system. Starting with a new flash-programmable engine control unit (ECU) powered by EFI technology, a leader in advanced electronic engine management and monitoring systems, the Pro-Flo2 systems allow for more tuning features, fully sequential injector firing, and limitless calibrations in a compact package. The Pro-Flo2s include a new software package with a graphic user interface that is user-friendly and has an updated look. Additional software features include Edelbrock's exclusive hand-held calibration module (for tuning without a laptop), and new for the Pro-Flo2s is the option to laptop-tune--this gives you the best of both worlds! Two tuning strategies include speed density (engine speed vs. manifold absolute pressure) and alpha-N (engine speed vs. throttle position). Included are base calibrations for common AMC, Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler applications. A narrow-band O2 sensor is included, but the Pro-Flo2s are wide-band 02 compatible.

The complete packages include:

* Intake manifold
* Throttle body assembly
* Fuel rails
* Fuel injectors
* All sensors
* Wiring harness
* ECU
* Hand-held calibration module
* Software
* Brackets
* Attaching hardware

This is like chinese to me tho......But I think it is the route i will go kit is somwhat plug and play......planning on 9.6 to 10.5 compression full roller vaulvetrain.....I will need to hangout with some einstein guys to learn how to tune with a laptop....I am use to using a screwdriver..... Just need knowledge on this so if anyone is or knows somebody using this system any info would be great.

One good thing about the system you're looking at is it has N-alpha capabilities. That's needed for use with a "big" cam. If you're shooting for 550 HP I assume you're going to use a agressive cam profile? Another thing to keep in mind about some of these aftermarket systems is their generally meant for "hot rod" type applications and driveability may be a issue.
Is this for your big truck or something other?
Also it looks like this system is for fuel only where some others will control spark timing as well:Edit: I see this system comes with a distributor so it probably controls spark.:Edit:In my opinion I would not bother with a fuel only system..

Last edited: