• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Edumacate P. Two piece front drivelines, home brew style.

P

If its free, its P
I know Ben did his own front 2pc driveline. Im thinking Im going to go this route on my junk and wanted to get some response from guys that have done it.

What to look for parts wise, what not to do ... any feedback from others that have
"been there done that"

( and Im not talkin about, yes I have one I called so and so and they sent it to me... :flipoff1: )

pillow block. its a cast bearing retainer that houses a ball bearing that is rounded on the OD of the outer race. the pillow block is rounded on the inside and the bearing is loaded in the block like a 2 piece rod end. that makes if forgiving of not being perfectly aligned (drivetrain flex relative to chassis). get your short shaft figured out and find a pillow block that fits the area behind the splines . then with the splines sticking out of it, you put your slip on it and measure from yoke to yoke on front axle and build a weld yoke x weld yoke shaft and put a ujoint to join the shaft to the female slip. thumb.gif
do you have any shafts?

When you go get the pillow block make shure you get one that is heavey duty. If not you know what will happen.

I know I need a pillow block, I was wondering more like, is there a brand I should or shouldnt look out for, stuff like that. laughing

I got a few spare shafts laying around that came with the Scout and that Ive had so I think Im straight on material outside of the pillow block specifically. I also have some DOM dammit that I had used for the front driveline I built for the Turd still ...

thumb.gif

wontwork said:
When you go get the pillow block make shure you get one that is heavey duty. If not you know what will happen.

I only know what a pillow block is, how do I know if its "heavy duty" or if someone is just telling me its heavy duty? SHould I try to buy a commercial truck application style pillow block? Or even something like that from a HD street truck ( F350 ish type dealio )

Thanks

Go to JIMS in Jasper and tell them what you are doing. We buy soem bearings form them, or Heavy Maintenenance in Jasper. If they can't help you I have a few contacts you can call. thumb.gif

Was posting while you was typing. I will try and get a pic of what style I would go with, just give me a little while. One way to tell is the price on how good a bearing is and we just tell them when we buy one we just tell the people behind the counter heavy duty. I have a guy that I can trust when ordering things like that.

Here it is. Top left pic is the style.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=pillow+block+bearing&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

these are purty...
Insert_Ball_Bearing_Units.jpg

B&D Electric Motor on 4th avenue south between 23rd and 24th street in Birmingham has a large variety of heavy duty pillow block bearings. Berry or Graig are good contact people. 251-6241

P said:
I know I need a pillow block, I was wondering more like, is there a brand I should or shouldnt look out for, stuff like that. laughing

I got a few spare shafts laying around that came with the Scout and that Ive had so I think Im straight on material outside of the pillow block specifically. I also have some DOM dammit that I had used for the front driveline I built for the Turd still ...

thumb.gif
you have a male hobbed (cut into od) spline section and 1350 matching female slip? I know your whole front shaft was 1310. If you are going this direction I will shut up, but in my experience, the more you come down under full throttle the more 1310's let go.....like matt O's in KOTH

wngrog said:
I would modify a Toyota truck 2 pc. They are tough as hell and compact.

Didnt think of that application... sounds economical which is what Im all about.

Kelly honestly Im more worried about breaking that lil fuggin front output in the D300 I got the big shaft for the rear, but the front is still stock as ballz :-X

Hendrix makes a nice pillowblock, but I bet you can find one out of a long bed truck. Tacoma ones are larger I think. The one on my Prerunner was pretty beefy. Should be cheap to find. Just adapting it to you 300, and 60 might be a PITA, but you gots mad skills yo.

the minitruck would be as strong as that little front output. probably stronger than the 1310 junk thats out there. I'm still a fan of a pillow block and not a carrier bearing. stock form carrier bearings are squishy as balls. if you strip the rubber outer coating and clamp mount a factory one, its strong as ****. I just got rid of a factory 2 piece rear 1350 from one end to the other with good carrier bearing last week for $50. good joints too :flipoff1:

I am running a Toy front shaft, not a 2 piece, but it is still a Toy shaft.....toy flange on the 231 and on the 60 are from Jesse at High Angle. I beat on it pretty hard and only had one issue, the bolts came loose on the tcase flange, causing the flange to break.......the ujoints survived....still using them.

Brian