• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric conversion crawler build

very cool!!! I have a lot of questions. LOL

What advantages are you hoping to gain over a traditional internal combustion engine?

What do you expect the battery life to be? Will you be able to wheel a whole day?

What is required to charge it? 110V? 220V?

Is the trans now like a reduction box or will you have a clutch and shift while moving like normal?
Main advantage will the instant torque. Should be way less shifting.

I guess is a half day out of each pack of slow trail riding and crawling.

The charger I have is 110v and will take about 8hrs to charge both packs.

No clutch. Might install a switch for reverse if I can't grab it quick enough.
3144FAA7-F8A5-41EC-A810-1AF14667D34A.jpeg

I'm excited to see how this plays out - also looking forward to seeing how it performs on some trails.

I'm excited to see how this plays out - also looking forward to seeing how it performs on some trails.
Probably about 2 weeks away from some hill killing videos lol

Redoing my steering while I'm at it. Oh yeah Volvo steering pump. Anyone try one of these?
50BF7D90-3EC2-43B1-BAAB-6983EB187320.jpeg

This is gonna be neat. I wonder if you could really shave some weight by eliminating the trans altogether and just going straight to the tcase. That said, I wonder whether resistance or motor speed plays a bigger role in battery consumption.

This is gonna be neat. I wonder if you could really shave some weight by eliminating the trans altogether and just going straight to the tcase. That said, I wonder whether resistance or motor speed plays a bigger role in battery consumption.
T4 doesn't way much.
The way I understand it people use a amp gauge as a economy gauge. Like it might pull 100 amps with the motor 500 rpm in 2nd gear but shift to 1st pull 70 amps with motor at 1500 rpm. Pulling 70 would be more efficient and that means more range. Shouldn't take too long to figure out the sweet spot and gears. This controller will only do 500 amps.

yep im interested in this... only problems i see from where i wheel (Texas and Oklahoma) is run time and charge time... we like to get up at 10ish and wheel till lunchish eat then back till dinnerish then wheel till we hope 12 or 1 which usually means 2-4 am... so i would be worried bout the amount of battery that would require and the charge time... BUT this is cool!!! i would like to know the specs of the buggy its going in... also the weights before and after...

Will the heat have an effect on this? I have an employee that owns a Tesla and he's always trying to find a place in the shade to park it. He claims that when its parked out in the sun it drains the batteries some.

Ive looked in to the volvo pump for a kid crawler setup. The wiring looked very intimidating for the one i checked out. Theres a few threads out there on them but i never saw a successful install on one. Id like to see you figure it out tho ;)

Ive looked in to the volvo pump for a kid crawler setup. The wiring looked very intimidating for the one i checked out. Theres a few threads out there on them but i never saw a successful install on one. Id like to see you figure it out tho ;)
Here is a harness off eBay. Several videos on YouTube of people using them but I found out about it on electric conversion forums.
93AAE5E0-1A8D-4243-AE69-83A7560E3298.png
93AAE5E0-1A8D-4243-AE69-83A7560E3298.png

More questions from a guy that can't afford an Electric crawler. LOL

You said the front batteries and 400 LBS and the rear are 400LBS. I'm assuming looking at the pictures its 400 LBS for the 4 packs pictured in the front.

That all being assumed is it possible to have a charged set of batteries at camp that could be swapped in fairly easily to extend ride time?

How water proof is the motor and all the electrical components?

Looking at the RC crawler world what would it take to have a motor for each axle?

Really cool build!! Im very excited to hear about how it works on the trail.

More questions from a guy that can't afford an Electric crawler. LOL

You said the front batteries and 400 LBS and the rear are 400LBS. I'm assuming looking at the pictures its 400 LBS for the 4 packs pictured in the front.

That all being assumed is it possible to have a charged set of batteries at camp that could be swapped in fairly easily to extend ride time?

How water proof is the motor and all the electrical components?

Looking at the RC crawler world what would it take to have a motor for each axle?

Really cool build!! Im very excited to hear about how it works on the trail.
All together they are 400. Only 200 in the front.