• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

electric window half doors

Dain Bramage

i'm thinking of either buying or making some half doors for my truck (86 toyota pickup). only thing is that my truck has power windows and door locks, and i want to keep those options when i have my full doors on. to do that i would need to put in some connectors, but there doesnt seem to be much room between the door and the door sill for one. does anyone have any experience/ideas for this?

I saw on a hot rod show one time, some connectors that mounted on either side of the gap and then when the door closed it made a connection. You could search the internet for something like that.

Or just extend the wires and make a little clip mount for the connector on either the kick panel or near the bottom of the door. Thus, the connector wouldn't be between the door and door sill... just the wires would have to fit.

I think hes talking about these? If not, this is what I was thinking of at first, but I wouldnt use them for the reasons listed below. You can get em at painless wiring though.

40024.jpg

Those would work, but they only work when the doors are closed. So if you have door speakers like I do and run those through there too, the speakers would only work when the doors are closed. Maybe not a big deal, but I like to have my doors open in camp sometimes to play music.

Also, you wouldn't be able to open your door to get out, then lock the doors with your door still open anymore. And of course, if you locked them before you got out with the door still closed so they work, then you would have to unlock your door again to get out, then lock it with the key, haha.

I would personally look into putting some quality plugs behind the kick panels.

~T.J.

Last edited:
i'm thinking of either buying or making some half doors for my truck (86 toyota pickup). only thing is that my truck has power windows and door locks, and i want to keep those options when i have my full doors on. to do that i would need to put in some connectors, but there doesnt seem to be much room between the door and the door sill for one. does anyone have any experience/ideas for this?

There already are connectors, but they're a PITA to dig out of the kick panel area. :redneck:

There already are connectors, but they're a PITA to dig out of the kick panel area. :redneck:
hmmmm, i may have to do some investigatorial digging.

T.J., our 99 ford windstar had those on the sliders. they ****ing sucked. the speakers cut out intermittently and doors didnt always lock. i wouldnt recommend those to anyone.

also, stay away from ford windstars in general.

hmmmm, i may have to do some investigatorial digging.

T.J., our 99 ford windstar had those on the sliders. they ****ing sucked. the speakers cut out intermittently and doors didnt always lock. i wouldnt recommend those to anyone.

also, stay away from ford windstars in general.

they arent THAT bad... we had one doing past double the 55 mph speed limit.... and we didnt get it stuck the one time we ACCIDENTLY drove it threw a small mud pit...[it was a grassy area used to turn around in... and we used it after a heavy down poor... so tires sunk a bit]

but our problem with those damn door connectors was it would say the door was open.........

my sudjestion though for the jeep... is use something like a 4 prong trailer light hook ups... they are only about what a 1/4 of an inch... im sure you could find some place to hide them away at...

i just want to get something set up thats convenient, since i dont really plan on leaving the half doors on for extended peoiods of time, as in more than a day.

i had a 4runner that had electric stuff and i ran tube doors all summer, just unplug the factory connectors behind the kick panel. i left my tube doors on all summer so it wasnt bad to dig for the factory connectors. good luck, DT

just do what my friend ashton did.....grow a pair and convert to manual windows/doors.:fawkdancesmiley: someday your fancy electric stuff will stop working anyways

just do what my friend ashton did.....grow a pair and convert to manual windows/doors.:fawkdancesmiley: someday your fancy electric stuff will stop working anyways
ya. someday. as in not today. your just jealous that i have power windows. :fawkdancesmiley: