• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electrical gremlin from hell

The Luke

So, I loaded my 96 Xj country on the trailer, strapped it down and decided to throw on some rock lights at the last minute. At some point, I forgot that I had the switch on while routing wires and it sparked against my cage.

Which now brings me to my problem. When you turn the key to run, the ac clutch engages(even with the ac off) and the aux fan turns on. The radio and everything other than headlights is dead. Fuel pump won't cycle.

It will turn over but will not fire because of the fuel pump not engaging. Computer will not scan.

Due to all that, I assumed ecm. I replaced it and nothing changed. So now I have an extra. I've also checked every fuse with a meter and they are all good. I've changed fuel pump relays, no luck.

Any help here? Things to try? Any and all help is appreciated.

Forgive me if this is a rookie question. Ive done all kinds of electrical work. But somehow, I've never messed with a fusible link before. Everything on google says this is it. This really appears to be nothing more than a piece of 8gauge fused to a 10 gauge wire. Unless the obvious break or melt in the wire, how does this fail?

Pardon the chopped up section of shrink wrap. I assumed there was a fuse or something in there. I was incorrect.
802bb2965507d8054e03665d60f1ba6f.jpg

Did you actually pull the fuses and test them, mine did something similar one day and it ended up being one of those big ass fuses under the hood, think they're called maxi fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test continuity.... it is designed to pop before the bigger wiring

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_link

I took your advice and triple checked fuses. And guess what...
0b2ae3f46b974a54ab7ab5a8304197ba.jpg

I don't have any of these giant fuses laying around. I'll grab one tomorrow and see what happens. Now I just feel like an idiot. Lol

The Luke said:
I took your advice and triple checked fuses. And guess what...
0b2ae3f46b974a54ab7ab5a8304197ba.jpg

I don't have any of these giant fuses laying around. I'll grab one tomorrow and see what happens. Now I just feel like an idiot. Lol
I did same thing man, mine done it on the trail In a shitty spot, glad you got it figured out, electrical problems are a nightmare.

tonybolton said:
Loop some 12gauge in its spot....you'll be fine. 8)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I'm just going to use some old lamp cord. It'll be fine til it isn't fine any more.

When I go to pick a pull I always seem to have one or two of those in my pocket when I leave. And you can pull the one for the abs or air bag or whatever one is not important and put it in and see if it fires up

I almost grabbed a handful last time I was there and thought to myself "nah, how often do i ever need those big fuses?"

Well, not out of the woods yet. It's blowing the same fuse as soon as I turn the key. So there's an ignition short somewhere. It's slot 6. The pcm fuse. I saw where some people are saying they found shorted out o2 sensor wiring blowing as the culprit. I'm going to check that tomorrow when I've got some light.
d7c4ee4499d035004012332b4efa6d0d.jpg
837ae0d6bdeab50ac46e01cd533fd89b.jpg

Check the light wiring ?
That's the last thing you added and it worked ok before.

That was the first thing I did. I removed 100% of everything I did and put it back to stock.

if it is a 4.0 check the wiring harness where it goes around the back of the cylinder head. I have saw where the head bolt has rubbed into the wiring harness causing the same thing to happen

I'll double that section again tomorrow. I've started combing thru every square inch of harness and removing every bit of jacked up meth lab wiring the previous owner put in place. I'll pay somebody with plenty of gas money, food and beer if they think they can straighten it out.