• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Endurance racing in the South?

wizzo said:
I'd probably race at Dayton given the opportunity.

Heck yeah. booyang

bgredjeep said:
If 1/2 the people in this thread had shown up to race dirt riot when they were running the southeast series (chocco, gray rock, etc) they'd probably still be running it. I helped some friends who raced that series and was surprised at how low the participation was. Even the SXS class was only getting 3 or so rigs per race.

Wasn't the entry fee for dirt riot races in the $100+ range? pretty sure it was.

RustyC said:
There seems to be some positive feedback in this thread some far. Pro Rock racing has posted up that there are events coming is 2017 and others have shown interest in getting involved.
If you have a vehicle that met class requirements and you were will to get a helmet and travel to a location at one of the Southeastern parks,what would you same is a fair or out of your league for an entry fee?

For the stock to modified trail classes. Would a $25 entry fee grab your attention or is $50+ too much.
For the super modified and unlimited $50 entry or is 100+ too much.

Trying to get a baseline for what it would take to get racers out, park would obviously keep some of the entry and the rest goes to the purse to be distributed.
I don't forsee a huge turnout or purses being paid out but getting a race together that pays for itself would be a step in the right direction.

Compared to the other options, I'd be glad to pay those entry fees.

I would think the $50/$100 would be about right. We pay $50 for the 4 banger races. I think one of the downfalls of some of the endurance racing from before was that the racers were told if you do not like how I am running things etc... to sit out a couple races/ season. Therefore when it hurts the promoters pocket also things will get changed. well it didn't. he took it as no-one wanted to race. Plenty wanted to and some had been, but didn't like some of the things that were going on so they took the promoters word to the bank...

Re:

My last race with dirt riot was 153.00 to enter. I was trail modified. I'd pay 100 to race again but would like the prize for first place to be more than 400.

I like racing but we all know it cost to race. And when you win first and it only pays for what it cost to get to the race and entry fee it sucks. It's one thing to race a trail rig and win vs building/buying a race rig to race. My opinion is racing only works when the prize benefits the winners. No I don't expect to break even overall but with dirt riots payout if you cut a tire and still won youd loose money.

53752760.jpg

Re:

The problem I saw while helping with ECORS was spectators. You have to get a crowd there to help get the bigger pay outs. But when you have more racers than people to watch it is hard to have larger pay outs. These parks have to pay out large amounts of money for event insurance. Then they have time invested to set up the track/course. You cannot ask these park owners and promoters to lose major money on these races. Even with just 50% pay out from racer entry fees they lose a lot of money. Find away to get people to come watch it then you will see more endurance racers.

Sent from my S50c using Tapatalk

Re:

Pumpkin said:
The problem I saw while helping with ECORS was spectators. You have to get a crowd there to help get the bigger pay outs. But when you have more racers than people to watch it is hard to have larger pay outs. These parks have to pay out large amounts of money for event insurance. Then they have time invested to set up the track/course. You cannot ask these park owners and promoters to lose major money on these races. Even with just 50% pay out from racer entry fees they lose a lot of money. Find away to get people to come watch it then you will see more endurance racers.

agree 100%, and I think the only way to get the crowd involved is provide constant action. Have sections of short course with side by side action like in the knock out series. Also something that U4 does that works well is set up a jumbo tron with live feed from various obstacles throughout the course. So the spectators can see the live feed and the short course from one location.

paring these events with the rockbouncer, SXS and megatruck events would definitely offset some of the cost

Pumpkin said:

onetoncrawler said:
agree 100%, and I think the only way to get the crowd involved is provide constant action. Have sections of short course with side by side action like in the knock out series. Also something that U4 does that works well is set up a jumbo tron with live feed from various obstacles throughout the course. So the spectators can see the live feed and the short course from one location.

paring these events with the rockbouncer, SXS and megatruck events would definitely offset some of the cost

IMO, this is why you've seen Ultra 4 go to more of a "short course" lay out for almost every event other than King of the Hammers. Short course keeps the crowd involved. At most ECORS events, spectators would see limited action and get bored. And who can blame them.

wizzo said:
IMO, this is why you've seen Ultra 4 go to more of a "short course" lay out for almost every event other than King of the Hammers. Short course keeps the crowd involved. At most ECORS events, spectators would see limited action and get bored. And who can blame them.

The setup at Dayton was on point. The long front stretch, zig zag up top, and the field section in the back, all spectator accessible was real nice.

I was an OG ECORS racer back in the day.
The best course for spectators was without a doubt the Spartanburg SC race. It was a combo of dirt track, man made concrete obstacles and super tight. The fans could see every inch of the race.
Devils Playground was good for the same reasons.

We had long, drawn out threads on the ECORS home site, NC4X4, in the past that all pointed to a few common things a successful series needs. Keep it simple, keep fans interested and keep the races somewhat close. As ECORS grew, the races got further and further apart and that really thinned out the racer count.

I think a series where 2 races were at "X" and 2 races were at "Y", both places geographically close to each other and a finale somewhere cool would be a great recipe. Drop the points from one of the first 4 races in case someone misses one and the finale race is double points

Spectators not being able to access the good spots is something I noticed Ultra4 needs to improve on. At the Badlands, the only place we could go watch was the arena and the quarry. We couldn't access the sand dunes to see the high speed action, and there was a option line required to be done one time that was out of reach of spectators. Just make sure they can get to where the action is happening.

I have made contract with someone about having some races.. but I'm currently waiting on a response. Hopefully we can get some news soon. I'll update anything I hear.

Jody hit the nail on the head. I raced ECORS the first two seasons in the C class. When the races started getting further apart, it was hard for people to follow the entire series. It was a heck of alot of fun though.

Jody Treadway said:
As ECORS grew, the races got further and further apart and that really thinned out the racer count.