• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ERoCC flash back

patooyee

2002 season pics:

http://patooyee.com/best_of_erocc_02/best_of_erocc_2002.htm

Ken Shupe pretty much dominated EroCC it's entire existence with a light 4.3L rig. His chassis were thin-wall tube, which, at the time, was not allowed but also not checked. He told me this himself.
DSC01133.jpg

Kevin Mize was a crowd pleaser with his healthy big CID SBC on alcohol. He somehow managed to piss off all the other competitors, not sure how, but there always seemed to be drama surrounding him.
DSC01043.jpg

OG Bouncer was always nipping at Shupe heels but couldn't ever keep his rig in one piece. Although I was always surprised at how well it did hold up given the lack of **** given.
DSC01377.jpg

Franky Fountain on Crow's Nest. He absofuckinglutely teraformed that hillside with his LS1, dual SM465's, and cut boggers. I remember you could feel the ground shake as he unleashed hell. Surprisingly, he didn't even make it up after about 30 minutes trying. The hill was so tore up after that that no oen figured anyone would go up it and then Ken Shupe got it on his third try to win the comp.
DSC01247.jpg

Can't forget Full Throttle with his 454 BBC!
DSC00775.jpg

I don't remember this guy's name but he was one of the first rigs on Unimog axles. He was a wealthy dr. and rolled up in a matching semi and trailer. He endoed bad off a hill and his head came out the back of the cage, nailing his eyebrow on the back of the cage. The eyebrow was dangling as a flap over his eye afterwards and e went to his truck to use the side view mirror to stitch it back on. Pretty badass, but I think after that he sold the rig and never rode again because he was afraid he would kill himself and never see his kids again. The rig was insanely heavy and when ti hit the ground I felt it in my feet as well.
DSC00211800x600.jpg

2003 season:

Rigs started getting more and more competitive, buggies started being more common, full bodies less.
http://patooyee.com/erocc2003/erocc_2003_page_1.htm

Shupe was back in another light-weight rig that dominated:
102_0268.jpg

Don't know who this was, but the chassis was all aluminum. He rolled it early on and that is when the entire sport decided that aluminum was not a smart choice for roll cages. I think the rig barely made it through its first comp, maybe one mroe after that, and then was torn down / abandoned:
102_0271.jpg

Randy Torbett with his tractor axles started becoming dominant.
103_0344.jpg

smbroady82 said:
looks like some awesome obstacles, were these pics from all different places/parks ?

They were all in Jellico, TN. (No, that's not supposed to say Tellico.) The park where this took place is closed, I think mined, now. A year or two ago I heard that an adjoining property had opened for riding but haven't heard anything in a long time about it.

Re:

Correction on #103.
That was Travis Smith from up in Hartselle Al. Buggy was 1.5x.120 hrew and dom mix. The roof bar caved on a hard roll. It wasn't an alum chassis

Re:

Rokcrler said:
Correction on #103.
That was Travis Smith from up in Hartselle Al. Buggy was 1.5x.120 hrew and dom mix. The roof bar caved on a hard roll. It wasn't an alum chassis

Thanks.

There was an all-aluminum chassis there though. It's all anyone talked about. So now I wonder which one it was?

Everything I have is in the galleries. I'd love for people to post some of the ones I didn't if they have any good intel / stories about them.

I loved those old technical comps like we rock. It's what really got me into wheeling. I remember watching randy torbet go off a ledge land on his lid knocking him out. 10 min later they have a high lift pushing the cage out and running another course a few minutes later.

I remember most of these rigs. Jellico was the best comps I ever seen. The atmosphere had something about it that others could never duplicate. I have been to many comps that never attracted the crowds Erocc did.

I have a bunch of old pictures from Jellico. I'd have to take pictures of pictures to post them though. ERoCC had it right. I remember the comp that first picture was taken. Everyone was complaining that Ken was using unfair tires, Krawlers, so he swapped on the original mud terrains and still won I believe.

Here is the only picture I have on my phone from those days. I believe this was from 2003.

Yes, several years ago when Mike was running the place after the XRRA races they opened up a few times a year as Rocky Top.

Little yellow rig with the MRW beadlocks and portals was Ken Blume, not Ken Shupe. Shupe had the first set of fluted and lightened Dynatrac 60's then and was still killing it, even with a cast on one arm.
I traveled to Jellico multiple times to watch and got hooked by all of the awesome comp guys that would answer questions and talk after runs and give tips and tricks. I took a ton of pictures and went home and learned to weld and fabricate and started rounding up parts. That is definitely one of the birth places of the sport, especially East Coast style.

joshuacrowe said:
Little yellow rig with the MRW beadlocks and portals was Ken Blume, not Ken Shupe. Shupe had the first set of fluted and lightened Dynatrac 60's then and was still killing it, even with a cast on one arm.
I traveled to Jellico multiple times to watch and got hooked by all of the awesome comp guys that would answer questions and talk after runs and give tips and tricks. I took a ton of pictures and went home and learned to weld and fabricate and started rounding up parts. That is definitely one of the birth places of the sport, especially East Coast style.

Wait, Josh Crowe? As in THE Josh Crowe? I used to come watch you guys in Dayton! :woot:

Spent a bunch of time at Jellico. Competed in ledgends for 3 or 4 years.

Then helped with Kim and Droopy when they ran the faster U4 stuff after the crawling went away.

Couple guys I work with live up that way. I'll have to ask them what's up with the place.