• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Evans Creek improvements...

Qman

The Camshaft Guy
The improvements are taking form. The parking lots are clean and smooth at both the entrance and day use area. Looks like they are enlarging the camp ground or making another road into it. The width restrictions that were placed at the entrance to 311 are now also being placed @ 198 and the main lines headed to 197 and the rock bowl and the 7930 road. Those look to be more for closures though. They also blocked the lower road that went to 102.

What are the opinions of the improvements, or changes if you will, by those who have actually see and used them.

311entrance.jpg

198entrance.jpg

They are spending millions of dollars to build more campsites but they closed a bunch of roads and trails. So more people will be using a smaller area, which will lead to more erosion.

The area is also closed in the winter time for a bird that does not live in the area. Typical government. BS.

They are spending millions of dollars to build more campsites but they closed a bunch of roads and trails. So more people will be using a smaller area, which will lead to more erosion.

The area is also closed in the winter time for a bird that does not live in the area. Typical government. BS.

Hmm, what roads/trails got closed? Actually, the area is closed in winter every year for as long as I can remember. They just chose not to gate it.

Have you actually been up there? The only trails I have seen closed were bypass trails that were not part of the original trail system.

Yes, I have been up there in a stock Jeep and done all the trails :booo: If you know the area, then you know all the trails and roads that were closed. The USFS is in the process of filling in all the trails so they are passable with the USFS mini excavator. Within a couple years, all the trails will be nice and smooth. But hey, we will have a muti million dollar campground for the locals to trash.
:awesomework:

The one guy I wheel with that couldn't fit thru those gaykeepers could easily crawl over them. Although, I'm sure he just won't wheel up their anymore.

Guess its just to keep honest people honest, and give the more rebellious a challenge.

I wonder if the USFS would be liable for emergency vehicles not being able to fit through the poles?

Last edited:
I wonder if the USFS would be liable for emergency vehicles not being able to fit through the poles?

I know you're just joking, but could you imagine if you actually got them to remove the gatekeepers for that reason? They would have to smooth out, and harden all the trails so that an ambulance could get up them.....Oh wait they're already doing that.

I meant the poles in the road, not the trails. But yeah, they are making the trails smooth enough for an ambulance.

I meant the poles in the road, not the trails. But yeah, they are making the trails smooth enough for an ambulance.

And yet you want to pour concrete on the rocks at tahuya so that you can have traction and not move the rocks around. :rolleyes: :haha:

And yet you want to pour concrete on the rocks at tahuya so that you can have traction and not move the rocks around. :rolleyes: :haha:

Yes and no. They need it so the rocks will stop rolling down the hill.

I don't see how any of the width restriction obstacles would stop me. I could either driver over one of the rocks or take the poles at an angle to get through.

Last edited:

I don't see how any of the width restriction obstacles would stop me. I could either driver over one of the rocks or take the poles at an angle to get through.

I blew a front stub shaft doing that on BYS :haha:eek:nce :haha:

I was up there Sunday. Seemed to me there were quite a few trails blocked. Didn't bring a map so I couldn't remember. The roads are really nice though, except for the road getting to Evans. That is one washedboarded sum bitch!

I did not like how the set up parking stalls in the main staging area. I just park longways on the end.

I have not been up there in probably five years....its a shame to hear what they are doing. I might have to go and check it out.

I say for every 20 yards of gravel they dump on a "Most Difficult" trail to turn it into a road we go and cut one tree out of the Little Rattlesnake trail. Eye for an Eye is my motto, fair is fair.

I don't mind the width restriction at all. The paving of natural trails with man made pollution (gravel) is an act of terrorism. Those who aid the FS in these acts should be held accountable for their actions by the wheelin community.
:stirpot:
:beer:

What would that accomplish?:rolleyes:

It would level the playing field. Nothing is more disgusting to someone wheelin a modern rig than to see the difficult and fun trail they grew up with covered with gravel and hardened its obstacles broken down or removed. Many of us built our rigs to fit the trail and when we come back with a real drivetrain on 36s or better to see that some work party "stockered" the whole thing with gravel,well, it hurts. We have precious few "Most Difficult" trails left in this state yet we stand by and do nothing about it. I believe it is because we are told within our user group that we must submit to their (FS) will. Here we are allowing, even making excuses for and justifying the FS's actions up there. Go back and look at how many people defended the boat ramp conversion on the entrance to the lower 311. " We had to do or they said they'd shut it down boo hoo." Let them shut it down. Let them try.

My point is that paving a trail like the 311 or 197 of it's obstacles and mud sections is dramatically taking away from well more than half of the ORV user groups. The fact that some user groups even go as far as to enable this kind of destruction is pathetic. If ratcheting down the difficulty of all our remaining decent trails is the norm then it needs to be across the board. Cutting a tree out of a tight corner on LR is no different and No Less Stupid than turning the beginning of the 311 trail into a boat ramp, or making 197 doable in a mini excavator.

Tell you what. Next year the FS will likely ask us for volunteer help to pave and destroy another major section of trail. When they do I'll go up there that day and take plenty of photos. We'll see who helps them turn a natural beautiful organic dirt based fun trail into a flat and featureless gravel road through the woods, then we'll go from there.

I'm all for fixing what is supposed to be an easy trail. Making what is supposed to be a hard trail (311, 197, Busywild, etc) into a stupid easy trail is treason as far as I'm concerned. It should not be tolerated.

The poles and such are simply a tool for educating. If your not smart enough to be educated then thats what the enforcment is for. They will be writing tickets for overwidth vehicles very soon.

I say for every 20 yards of gravel they dump on a "Most Difficult" trail to turn it into a road we go and cut one tree out of the Little Rattlesnake trail. Eye for an Eye is my motto, fair is fair.

I don't mind the width restriction at all. The paving of natural trails with man made pollution (gravel) is an act of terrorism. Those who aid the FS in these acts should be held accountable for their actions by the wheelin community.
:stirpot:
:beer:

None of the trails at Evan (or anyplace else) are "natrual" they are all man made. The ones at Evans and other parks were built to certain standards. The agencys are bringing the trails back to fit into the original design criteria. We either help them by being involved or they will just close the trails.

I was up there Sunday. Seemed to me there were quite a few trails blocked. Didn't bring a map so I couldn't remember. The roads are really nice though, except for the road getting to Evans. That is one washedboarded sum bitch!

I did not like how the set up parking stalls in the main staging area. I just park longways on the end.

NONE of the system trails are being blocked or removed. The blockage you see is user built (illegal) bypasses and trails. The road clousers are due to road density issues that the forest service has to comply to.